Previous topicNext topic

camera clipping and 3d models

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
blackdot

camera clipping and 3d models

Post by blackdot »

heyo, i ran into a clipping issue. as a workaround until a better particle emitter is available, i tried just making a "big circle" of my "world" enabling me to "loop" said "world". hope that makes sense. however when i positioned it, i noticed that for this purpose, the minimum clipping of the camera is too far. so far my "world" consists of only a cube 3d-model that reacts in size to the bass. the whole thing turns towards the camera to imitate the effect i'm trying to achieve.
magic-clipping.png
magic-clipping.png (14.36 KiB) Viewed 6182 times
Magic
Site Admin

Re: camera clipping and 3d models

Post by Magic »

Hmm, so you're saying that you can't get the model close enough?
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

yes :).
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok thanks. I'll look into this.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Also, do you get different behavior in other apps? Like Blender? If so, can you post a screenshot of what it should look like?
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

uhm i didnt do the whole thing in blender but duplicated rotated and positioned it in magic (in order to only use one cube). what i mean are the foremost cubes that are cut off.

clipping in blender is handled like this, you have values for minimum and maximum clipping. for example:
blenderclipping.jpg
blenderclipping.jpg (122.74 KiB) Viewed 6163 times
magic behaves like the left picture, where the 'start' clipping value is too big/far.

i assume magic has something similar hardcoded somewhere? if this is, for now, just the case with magic, i'll figure out how to work around it or with it, but i wanted to bring it up, just in case it's an easy fix or useful feedback in another way :).
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ahh gotcha. Yes, the clip start plane is hard-coded to 0.1 right now. It has to be a value greater than 0. So I'm not sure it can get any better unfortunately...
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

ok, i'll figure out a way around it, thanks.

btw, i noticed that my gpu load and memory consumption is about the same when i only use 1 model, or when i use that 1 model 16 times. is that observation correct? i would've imagined that when i use it 16 times, the total amount of vertices would also be 16 times bigger, increasing the load.

or are still 16 cube still so easy, that i wasnt able to spot the load increase?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

The model's data is stored in VRAM (vertices, textures, etc.), and any time you draw the same model again, it uses the same data. So that's why the GPU load doesn't increase no matter how many times you draw it.

If you had a complex model and you were drawing it many times, you might get a lower fps, but the memory usage still wouldn't increase.
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

ah okay, this is pretty cool. :)