Previous topicNext topic

glut32.dll is missing

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
blackdot

glut32.dll is missing

Post by blackdot »

i wanted to try out this (http://resolume.com/blog/7610 ) FFGL plugin, however when i start magic (the 32bit version), an error pops up "glut32.dll is missing, try reinstalling the program". I quickly reinstalled magic 32bit but to no avail. I also searched my computer for that dll and found one in a photoshop directory. i copied it into system32 hoping that would do something, which it doesnt though. any ideas?
Terry Payman

Re: glut32.dll is missing

Post by Terry Payman »

I had this issue.
Quick & Dirty: It works if you put all the supporting DLL's (from the download's "dlls" subdirectory) in Magic's installation directory, and the FFGLFireworks DLL somewhere on the normal module search path.

This fits with the instructions, which say
"Copy these files into the resolume installation folder (the same folder as Avenue.exe):
- fmodex.dll
- fmodexL.dll
- FreeImage.dll
- FreeType-6.dll
- glut32.dll
- Zlib.dll"
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

The missing .DLL is for the plugin, not Magic. You will probably never have to reinstall Magic unless you start deleting files in the installation folder :).

Here's a post that explains a bit about third-party plugins and .DLL search paths: http://magicmusicvisuals.com/forums/vie ... p=354#p354
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

thanks. in fact i already had specified an "additional module folder" where i have all my external GLSL's and FFGL's. copying those supporting dll's into the magic directory has solved the issue.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Keep in mind that if you copy the dll's into the Magic folder, the plugin will only work in that version of Magic. In other words, every time you install a new version of Magic, you'll have to copy them again. So that's why I generally recommend you put them in the same additional module folder as the plugin itself.
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

yes, that makes sense of course. they were in my "additional module folder" all along though, which didnt seem to do the trick. magic was able to detect the plugin itself, but not the other dlls. maybe because they're "supporting" dll's somehow?

here's how it looks http://screencast.com/t/S5m26orpy
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

They have to be in the exact same folder as the FFGL plugin itself. A subfolder won't work. :)
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

aah that's why. didnt know, thanks.