Previous topicNext topic

screencasting the magic output

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
blackdot

screencasting the magic output

Post by blackdot »

Has anyone made any experience with using screencasting software (eg like camstudio) to capture your live performance? Will it even work? Is there a big additional drop in fps?

Also Eric, do you know about nvidia shadowplay and how it apparently saves the gpu output to disk during gaming without fps drop, and if that might be applicable for magic?
damstraversaz

Re: screencasting the magic output

Post by damstraversaz »

Dxtory is a nice solution , very stable. i'm using it often with resolume and made a quick test some time ago with magic ( just remember it works)

http://exkode.com/dxtory-features-en.html
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I haven't tried the Nvidia solution, but any kind of screen recording software will always make the fps drop, even if just a little bit. That's why I generally recommend you use a separate hardware capture box -- it won't affect your computer at all. But you do need a separate computer for the recording, unless it's a self-contained solution (like an HD camcorder or standalone disk recorder).

The solution I've tested is the Game Capture HD (https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/gamecapture-hd), which works really well. You just plug it into your HDMI output (or use an HDMI adapter), and it has another HDMI output for your monitor. I've captured 720p and 1080p in realtime, with excellent quality.

I'm sure a Blackmagic Intensity would be good too (https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity).
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

read up on it a bit. apparently shadowplay is so tightly integrated, that it can be allowed to "always" capture the last 20 minutes temporarily in one mode. without having any significant fps drops. i'd assume amd has something equal, dont know though.

i guess external hardware solutions could be a solution, however would again mean a few hundred bucks :).
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

If you do try ShadowPlay, could you post here to let us know how it works and how you like it? Perhaps including a sample capture video? I'm sure it would be helpful for other users.
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

do you mean shadowplay in general with a random game or with magic? because i couldnt get it to work with magic. with games you just have to turn it on on the nvidia experience settings and then the icon shows up in a corner when you start the game.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Oh, hmm, yes I meant with Magic. So it doesn't work? Have you tried it with any other VJ apps?
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

I dont own any other vj apps. i could try digging out puredata and vvvv again though.
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

the newest version of geforce experience allows for "desktop capturing", which also captures magic. capturing itself works very well, also no fps drop in magic. HOWEVER there seems to be a slight stuttering on the recording. it seems to stutter periodically, in fact it may correlate with the duration of my video loop in this magic scene. will do further tests eventually. still, magic seems not to be affected noticeably, which is a nice start i guess.

my result (15mb)
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

One cause of the stutter might be all the different fps's: Magic runs at 60 fps; the video appears to be captured at 30 fps; and I'm not sure what your original source video's fps is.

So there's different things that might not be perfectly synced.

Maybe try setting your Nvidia capture to 60 fps if possible?
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

hm i think the source is also 30fps. maybe only 24 though. shadowplay also works with 60fps capture, but i put it to 30 because i assumed it would save ressources. i'll try with 60.