Previous topicNext topic

obj and 3ds files...loading texture.

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
OldNick

obj and 3ds files...loading texture.

Post by OldNick »

I thought I had something from another forum, but it did not work or I misunderstood it.

This is about a 3d eyeball. The files are in several formats (3ds, obj, and iwo). They are stored in i:\3d\Neweye. A sub-folder of that is Maps.

The iwo file works OK, but instead of being true 3d with a front and a back, janus-like it shows two eyeballs, front and back.

I found a place that said that the path to the textures was wrong and to change it. The jpg images that were the apparent textures are in the1:\3d\neweye \maps folder.

There is also an mtl file which, AFAICS, is a text file showing the path to the textures. So I set each path to i:\3d\Neweye\maps

But when I load the obj file into a Model Module, the underlying shape shows, but not the texture map. This is not just about Magic, AFAICS. Other programmes were bringing up error messages and loading only a framework or skin.

Please feel free to ask for elucidation I am a bit confused.

Any help appreciated. Promise not to argue. I am floundering

Nick
Sadler

Re: obj and 3ds files...loading texture.

Post by Sadler »

The Janus effect could be due to incorrect/insufficient UV map or possibly reversed faces.

You could try moving your maps to the same dir as the model and editing the mtl to have just the filename.