Previous topicNext topic

Delay Extension/Global Delays

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
PowBlackJesus

Delay Extension/Global Delays

Post by PowBlackJesus »

Can Someone PLEASE tell me how I can make a delay into a Global Parameter?

First off, why the hell is a delay capped at 1.0? I am so sick of using multiple delays on one module. Not only do delays not get affected by scale (as in: if I set a delay to 1.0 and multiply it by a scale of 2.0, it does extend that delay by 2. Instead it simply ignores it) but I cant seem to figure out how to use it in a Global parameter.

Maybe I'm just ignorant to how this animated process works but it's getting extremely tedious.

An extension to delays would make a worlds of difference though. At least then I could copy and paste without Crtl+V hundreds of times.
Sadler

Re: Delay Extension/Global Delays

Post by Sadler »

There are times I've felt the delay was limited and perhaps Magic devs could improve or expand this feature. However, there are ways and means to delay things happening when combining Increase with Triggers.

I guess that you have a specific application in mind and this particular work around might not work for you, but perhaps it might inspire you to find a solution for yourself. This work around specifies time delays using globals and can be applied to the iterator (though you don't have to) and can specify delays of any arbitrary length by adjusting the rate of Increase or the value it is Triggered at.

Here's the node setup to slide a few boxes after a few specified delays:
delay-comp.png
delay-comp.png (53.19 KiB) Viewed 4143 times
The delays are specified in Globals:
delay-globals.png
delay-globals.png (31.93 KiB) Viewed 4143 times
Optionally: here is the expression to index the delays using an iterator in the graph above.

Code: Select all

var delay[4] := { one, two, four, eight };
delay[x];