Previous topicNext topic

MMV not listening to line-in input of sound interface

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
pyc

MMV not listening to line-in input of sound interface

Post by pyc »

I'm not sure if studio version supports it, but I want to display real time analysis of sound coming from line-in input of sound interface. I'm using Mac, and in Sound Preferences on Input tab I see the signal is coming from Line-In input, but that signal is not getting listened in MMV. I have chosen correct interface, it's getting recognized in MMV, but animation is just not showing, I guess there is no signal. It's Zoom U-22 interface if that matter something. Anyone maybe knows how to fix this?
Sadler

Re: MMV not listening to line-in input of sound interface

Post by Sadler »

I've used the zoom interface on a Windows computer without issue. So that's not it. And Magic supports audio-in for all versions, so it's not that either. I'm not a Mac user but it sounds like you can see the device in Magic. Some screenshots might help but perhaps you have the device selected but not assigned to a source?
pyc

Post by pyc »

Nah, I assigned it to source, tried multiple projects of mine - non works with line in, all of them work when I supply audio file. Will try to solve this tomorrow again, I'll report my findings...
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Please post a screenshot of your Input Sources window.
pyc

Post by pyc »

ok, I attached the shot.
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 18.39.26.jpg
Screenshot 2023-07-18 at 18.39.26.jpg (569.12 KiB) Viewed 77596 times
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

I don't have the Zoom installed anymore but from my source list, one can see I used U-44 ASIO driver - possibly because other drivers didn't work properly, not sure. Its a shame there's no alternative driver for macs that you could try.
Screenshot 2023-07-18 195137.png
Screenshot 2023-07-18 195137.png (12.33 KiB) Viewed 77582 times
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Can you run the Mac utility called "Audio MIDI Setup", then select that sound card, then post a screenshot?
pyc

Post by pyc »

I don't have that audio interface right now, but I'll make a screenshot soon. Anyways, seems like I'm not the only one having this problem, there are also two other threads here on the forums. You will hardly solve it by examining my screenshots, I'm pretty sure everything here is setuped right (after all, it works flawlessly in other programs). You should be trying to get ahold of the same hardware and see the problem yourself. If this was some free application, then I wouldn't insist on solving this, but since I have licenced version which is just not working here, I really think developers could try harder.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Every time we have obtained audio interfaces that users complain about — and I mean every single time — they have worked fine for us. So that is why it’s helpful to see your configuration. Otherwise we can only assume it’s user error, which if you read our forums, is more likely than not.
pyc

Post by pyc »

Here I made a screen recording showing that it works with file, but not the live input which is definitely present. I just hope it's some fault of mine, honestly :)

Get the video here:
https://mega.nz/file/vxJykI6a#zeWipXB2x ... gbLuAuWx24
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Hi, that is not what I asked for. Please run the Mac utility called "Audio MIDI Setup", then select that sound card, then post a screenshot.
pyc

Post by pyc »

In Audio MIDI Setup it looked just regular, like the other devices and I was thinking this was more interesting to see. Anyways, I will post that screenshot but in few days again.
pyc

Post by pyc »

here it is
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 19.50.16.png
Screenshot 2023-07-25 at 19.50.16.png (647.64 KiB) Viewed 77521 times
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok. And does that device have its own control panel? Some software you had to install?
pyc

Post by pyc »

No, there's no special software for this device, it works out of the box, it's natively supported by the system.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok, then I would try setting your system sound input and output to your default MacBook mic and speakers so that there's no conflict with the Zoom. Then try using the Zoom as an input in Magic.
pyc

Post by pyc »

Zoom U-22 is regular audio interface (https://zoomcorp.com/en/jp/audio-interf ... aces/u-22/), not a virtual audio device, so there should be no conflicts, also I guess listening from that interface gives much more precise output than listening to Mic input. Alredy tried Zoom to be the input in Magic, and it's not working, that is why I made this thread...
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

If you don’t want to listen to what I’m suggesting then I can’t help you.
pyc

Post by pyc »

So you're suggesting a workaround could be a solution. I don't want to record Mic. I want my interface to work.... but hell, it doesn't matter anymore.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

No, I'm trying to eliminate variables and isolate the problem for you. As I told you before, we've never had any issues with any audio interfaces when we tested them ourselves.
pyc

Post by pyc »

OK, I did what you suggested and there's no input from Mic input either... I recorded a video showing that it works with file but not with Mic input, which definitely has a signal.

https://mega.nz/file/foxlFSjQ#z0HEEvo55 ... H34sjk5_DU
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

So just to be clear. The problem is not with the Zoom, but with any kind of mic or line input? That is quite different than what you were saying before.

My first thought is that you need to grant Magic the permission to use the microphone (in System Preferences). Magic always asks for this automatically, but you might have missed it or dismissed the dialog accidentally.
pyc

Post by pyc »

You're right... When allowed in system dialog, it works with Mic. But is there any similar setting for Zoom? I don't see it...
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I think it is a general setting and not specific to the Zoom. I am not 100% sure though.
pyc

Post by pyc »

If only I could find that setting, I've checked them all.
pyc

Post by pyc »

I just want to let you know that I made it, why it was broken it's the question, actually I don't really know what I did, but it works now with Zoom interface. Thank you!