Previous topicNext topic

Magic takes about 5 minutes to load

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
TEHK

Magic takes about 5 minutes to load

Post by TEHK »

I launch the app from my dock and the app window won't appear for approximately 5 minutes after I launched it. Not sure what is causing the sluggishness.

Relatedly, I have recently tried to load a flac audio file about 90 minutes in length and each time I add it to Magic, the app completely crashes.

I've tried converting the flac to wav, alac, m4a, and mp3 with Audacity and ffmpeg. Same problem with each format.

Not sure if these two issues are related or how to solve either of them.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Magic takes about 5 minutes to load

Post by Magic »

Does it really take 5 minutes or is that an exaggeration?

It could be that you have a lot of plugins to scan; not sure.

For audio files, make sure you haven't selected the option that loads them into memory.
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

In the past I've had to exclude the Magic directory and subdirectories from the realtime antivirus scan on my PC.

Prior to that I had very long load times (could easily be 5 mins) while my antivirus program was checking each of the plugins as it loaded.
TEHK

Post by TEHK »

I removed the custom ISF folder I had Magic pointed to and also rebooted. Things seem to be back to normal.

It was no exaggeration with 5 minutes, I literally timed it to around 5m30s to startup previously.

Not sure why, but it now scans the same custom ISF folder and starts up almost immediately. :?
TEHK

Post by TEHK »

Also, 2 hour audio clips load w/o crashing Magic now that they are not loaded into memory apparently. I'm all sorted out :mrgreen: