Previous topicNext topic

Beat triggers!

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Korro

Beat triggers!

Post by Korro »

Hey!

Coming here today to ask whenever beat/hit triggers are possible, either "natively" or via expressions etc.
And if via expressions, some tutorial/example would be nice :)

Thanks in advance!
Sadler

Re: Beat triggers!

Post by Sadler »

I don't really understand your question but perhaps this might help.

friday3000

Post by friday3000 »

Hi Korro, I would build the trigger with Ramp and the Threshold function, it works in my attached test project.

What surprises me a bit is that it only works under 0.94. Would have assumed that Ramp always reaches 1 and therefore should also work with a threshold setting of 0.99?
BPM Trigger V1 (Custom).png
BPM Trigger V1 (Custom).png (24.97 KiB) Viewed 11515 times
BPM Trigger via Global Variables V1.magic
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 530 times
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

There are Trigger modifiers for exactly this purpose.
friday3000

Post by friday3000 »

Magic wrote:There are Trigger modifiers for exactly this purpose.
He thanks for the input! But I don't understand how to use that if I need it for on/off (0/1) because it increases by 1 to the infinity or generates a random number in between 0 and 1? Any tips how you would use the trigger to generate a 1 every time the threshold is reached?

:?: I have also noticed the same behavior in combination with Ramp, that it does not work if I set the Threshold to 0.99 while I expect that the Ramp always rises to 1?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

It's similar to this tutorial: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/forums/vi ... ?f=3&t=986

The only difference is that your source would be audio, not MIDI. But you would still use Trigger (.5) and Wrap (2).
friday3000

Post by friday3000 »

Magic wrote:The only difference is that your source would be audio, not MIDI. But you would still use Trigger (.5) and Wrap (2).
Sorry for the delay, only today i had time to test your suggestion. But for me it does not work because it only triggers every second beat? As the source i use a BPM synced Ramp.

Nevertheless, i have now noticed that i could achieve beat exact switching of the scenes with the trigger and warp (as an example Trigger = 0.98 / Warp 4).
beattriggertest002 (Custom).png
beattriggertest002 (Custom).png (119.26 KiB) Viewed 11424 times