Previous topicNext topic

contrast module not functioning as expected....

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
hazardman

contrast module not functioning as expected....

Post by hazardman »

while i was working on a project, i noticed that the contrast module, no matter where/how it was connected in a chain, affected contrast/brightness globally to the entire scene as oppose to only the modules connecting in to it...

in the attached sample project, you can see that the module also affects the contrast/brightness of "Scene 3" without anything being connected in to it...

just in case, this is in version v1.51....
Attachments
contrast.magic
(2.64 KiB) Downloaded 281 times
Magic
Site Admin

Re: contrast module not functioning as expected....

Post by Magic »

I don't think the issue is that it affects the whole scene, but that applying negative contrast creates gray from black...

There's probably some room for improvement in the Contrast module though. :)
hazardman

Post by hazardman »

Eric wrote:I don't think the issue is that it affects the whole scene
it does affect the whole scene...disable and/or delete the contrast module in "scene 2" (i forgot to do this before uploading the file--my apologies) and you will see that "scene 3" is being affected by the contrast module even though there's nothing cabled into the input pin...

this phenomena will also create an additive effect when 2 or more contrast modules are used in the entire project and end up being summed in a common scene...
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

"scene 3" is being affected by the contrast module even though there's nothing cabled into the input pin...
If nothing is connected to the input pin, the input is considered to be black. So that's why I said applying negative contrast to black creates gray. ;)
this phenomena will also create an additive effect when 2 or more contrast modules are used in the entire project and end up being summed in a common scene...
Yep, it's because the alpha channel is preserved, which might be desirable in certain situations. But I'll look into improving this.