Previous topicNext topic

Help ! MIDI CLOCK ISSUE ...

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Magneto66

Help ! MIDI CLOCK ISSUE ...

Post by Magneto66 »

Hi everyone !!! I drive MMV (Performer Edition, Update to V 2.31) running on a gaming notebook by a track on ABleton Live (running to a second notebook, of course) ... Ableton's Track sends many MIDI Commands (changing scenes, modifying effects parameters, etc) and also MIDI CLOCK ... I use MIDI CLOCK to manage the speed of videos in MMV (of course i multiply the clock by a "scale factor" depending on the BPM of the song i'm playing; so the scale factor is 1 ONLY if the BPM is 120, it will be 0,96 if the BPM is 125 (0,96 = 120/125) and SO ON, according with MAGIC's standards. So if i decide to increase or decrease the speed of the song during the performance, the videos that i previously prepared will always be in sync. BUT sometimes it happens that MMV receives wrong CLOCK MIDI MESSAGE, so the Videos runs at TWICE the correct speed ... :o !!! IN that cases, i have to re-start both the notebooks (the one running MMV and the other running ABleton) in order to make them work properly ... Should it happen on stage, it would be a CATASTROPHE !!! :( Does anyone have an idea about the causes of this issue ? (perhaps someone also experienced it) ... I use rtpMIDI to send MIDI from the notebook running Ableton to the one running MMV and they are connected By an Ethernet cable ... (as someone suggested me in the past, i don't trust wireless connection)
Thank You in advance - Best Regards
Marcello
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Help ! MIDI CLOCK ISSUE ...

Post by Magic »

Are you actually using the MIDI Clock specification, which is a series of beats? Or are you using a different MIDI message with the BPM as a number?
Magneto66

Re: Help ! MIDI CLOCK ISSUE ...

Post by Magneto66 »

Magic wrote:Are you actually using the MIDI Clock specification, which is a series of beats? Or are you using a different MIDI message with the BPM as a number?
Hi, Thank You for answering ... I Actually send standard MIDI CLOCK from Ableton To Magic via Ethernet Cable and rtp MIDI ... One of the MIDI track in MY Ableton Live session is dedicated to MAGIC ... it sends program changes in order to change scenes, MIDI CC messages managing various parameters (FXS on Magic and so on) and of couse MIDI CLOCK ... As i Wrote, the issue happens from time to time and not too often BUT obviously, since I plan to do some live shows, it's pretty scary!