Previous topicNext topic

Program won't accept my .wmv file

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
kirton

Program won't accept my .wmv file

Post by kirton »

I just upgraded to the latest version of Magic. Now, using 1 of the Demos (FreqRanges), I'm simply trying to add a .wmv file, and it is being rejected (the Input Sources box says "The following file cannot be loaded: C:\ ....wmv [my file]"). Developers or users, can you advise how to proceed? Thank you

Kurt
Nashville, TN
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Program won't accept my .wmv file

Post by Magic »

Hi Kurt, did this file work in a previous version of Magic? If so, what was the exact version number?

Generally speaking, wmv files can't be added in the Input Sources window, because it's for audio only. I would be surprised if it worked before.
kirton

Post by kirton »

Hi,
Thanks for the quick response. Idk what vrs I had before but it was Magic_Setup_Windows_64 and downloaded 7-24-2019, so whatever vrs was current then--maybe File Vrs 0.0.0.0 (from hovering over my old installer file). It made this overlay on my video - https://youtu.be/aAWVnXOvGvI just fine. I guess I input a .wmv since it won't take .m4a's and those are the only 2 formats my video program (Movie Maker) will output. Please let me know what I can do to achieve the effect in the video I have the link to here. Thanks!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I think what you want to do is use the VideoFile module to add videos.
kirton

Post by kirton »

Ok, so I got the Video module added to a Demo I'm repurposing, put it over to the far L, reconnected all the other modules to it, and pointed it to the video file I want to overlay with fx. Preview Mode is turned On.

But I cannot figure out how to simply START the video playing so I can see the result of the fx I have linked to show on top of the video. I've clicked, right clicked, space barred, hit Enter, and watched YT tutorials and cant figure this out...Keeping in mind that the Input Sources window rejects my intended .wmv files (so have nothing that shows the Play button on that window), how do I START the video playing so I can preview what Magic is doing to the video output?

Not even sure how to get the Demos to play. Thanks for your continued help.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Videos play automatically. You should start with an empty scene with only a VideoFile module in it so you can see how it works. I think your other modules are probably getting in the way somehow.
kirton

Post by kirton »

(According to this video https://youtu.be/HNDMMhQpueQ looks like one has to click the lightning bolt at the top R of the VideoFile module to make anything play.)

I started a fresh project with JUST a Video module then linked it to the Magic module. I pointed FILE on the vid module to my .wmv file. Nothing I click on either module (incl the lightning bolt at the top R) or the Preview Scene, Magic Scene or Playlist windows--or hitting the Space bar--makes my video play. I even pointed to a different .wmv file. Same problem.

Can you please send me a link to a HowTo video (or at least step by step list) to simply make a linked-to video play? I must this have this work to even know that base video file is working so I can start adding modules and effects.

Thank you
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

On Magic's menu

1) Click Help
2) Click Open Sample Project . The "Open Project" window will appear
3) Select VideoExamples.magic

You should see the shortCars.avi video running immediately in the Magic window, with a green lightning bolt in the VideoFile module. Green (power on, running) is the default for all modules. Videos run by default.

4) Try your .wmv file instead of shortCars.avi as VideoFile's File.

I tested this with a .wmv file made using Adobe Media Encoder, and it ran fine in the VideoFile module. If your .wmv file doesn't play, try mine:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k0gesuu1iqkqv ... 1.wmv?dl=0
(This is a rough demo of some of my work with DJs, using a live video input to Magic.)
kirton

Post by kirton »

I converted my target video to .avi. On the Rotating Vid tab of the Demo you mentioned (using the File blank on the VideoFile module to point to my new .wavi file) I subbed mine in for the cars vid (which when this demo opened is only a rotating square). No video. Same problem on the Triggered Video tab.

Then I downloaded and input your .wmv via the procedure above; still the same issue (rotating white square is only thing that displays) in the Magic window.

(Magic still rejects my .wmv files). Then I input your .wmv in via the Add Source button on Input sources and pointed the Source blanks on the RotateAxis modules to it. Magic wouldn't show your vid, but I could hear your audio (on Rotating Vid and Triggered Vids tabs), and it affected the square's movement some.

I'm completely confounded as to why loading in, displaying, and overlaying a video (which should be a very basic program concept and highly desired project/output/feature of Magic for customers) is so difficult and/or will not function. It's one of the main reasons I bought Magic.

I'm running Magic v2.31 on a win 64 bit pc. Do I need to change anything in the Input Sources or Playlist windows to get the vids to show up? Any last thoughts before I give up feeding in a base video to overlay?
kirton

Post by kirton »

ADDITIONAL THOUGHT & QUESTION...

Also, I was able to create something basic (with just 1 of my .wav's) with 1 of the Demos. But the Export Movie option under File is greyed out. How do I make that work?

And, after reading some other Forum topics, maybe the above issues with importing/overlaying a video file have something to do with my video card (should be a Radeon RX 580...I had this PC custom built). Any advice on that?
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

If you only see a rotating white square when you load the demo then I suspect a fundamental problem with your graphics system.

I'm no expert but hopefully others can help fix it, given some further information about your system. Below are a couple more steps:

On Magic's menu,
5) Click Help,
6) Click OpenGL Info

You should see something like the attached screenshot. Please post a screenshot of your OpenGL Info (or Select All, Copy and Paste).
Attachments
OpenGL Info.jpg
OpenGL Info.jpg (150.51 KiB) Viewed 11464 times
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes, Terry is right. The overall problem here is that your graphics driver isn’t installed properly.
kirton

Post by kirton »

Here's the info from my GL Info:
Vendor: Microsoft Corporation
Maximum RGBA Texture Size: 1024x1024 pixels
Maximum Renderbuffer Size: 0x0 pixels
Extensions: GL_WIN_swap_hint GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_paletted_texture

Does that help advise me further/if so what else can you tell me?
So re: my graphics card driver installation, I just need to download and install the latest driver for my Radeon RX 580 graphics card?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes. You don’t have a graphics driver installed. You need to get the one for your Radeon.
kirton

Post by kirton »

Long story short, I turned off my Radeon Graphics Card allowing only the Intel one to function and I could finally see the cars video in the aforementioned Demo. I can now even use the Video module and switch to/see my .wmv--BUT with no sound occuring.

So after converting an .mp4 of my target video to a fresh and alternate .wmv, I STILL get the rejection msg when trying to load my .wmv into Input Sources. Your wmv loads in perfectly.

I must have the Input Sources window accept my .wmv or there'll be no sound and thus no moving visualizers happen on top of my vid.
Any advice?
Terry Payman

Post by Terry Payman »

I'm glad you're now running, but you will probably get much better Magic performance from your Radeon graphics card, so it will be worth sorting out the driver issue in due course.

There is no sound from the video module.

You need to make an audio file by extracting the audio from your wmv file, and load that into the Input Sources window.
kirton

Post by kirton »

I switched over to the Radeon and could only see blk with floating white square! So switched back to the Intel card and got the vids done. For anyone reading in the future that wants to put, say, the Freq Ranges fx on top of your fed in video file, here's how:

NOTE--at least for me--Could ONLY use the Intel graphics card to be able to see the vids I load into a VideoFile module. The Radeon will NOT show them, and you CANNOT have both graphics cards enabled at the same time.
- The Input sources window is only for audio files, which will trigger the Magic Effects.
- The VideoFile module is where the video (apparently .wmv's only) needs to be loaded in. The music and vid will sync when movie exports.
- Add a VideoFile module by clicking in the negative space in the FreqRanges Demo, then link it directly to the Magic module. Then the bars happen over the video.
- Adjust colors etc. on the other modules if desired.
- Export Your Movie (click Get Audio Length; use at least 1920x1080 for YT)

Thanks guys for all your help!