Previous topicNext topic

Channel 0 Audio-In overriding MIDI Learn Assignments

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
druzic

Channel 0 Audio-In overriding MIDI Learn Assignments

Post by druzic »

Ok. (This issue arose as a result of trying to workaround the limited support for scene changing via MIDI in my previous thread.)

The problem is when sending audio from Traktor into Magic channels 0 &1, no matter how I assign other source inputs, I get the error "Unsupported Command Channel 0 Traktor Virtual Output" when trying to map to another MIDI control surface and I have to cancel out it. Strangely enough I have gotten one unintended response from Magic when trying to map video speed. I accidentally pushed a button instead of a slider, Magic seemed to receive the message and blink when pushed in spite of the error message.

Anyway, I need a little help sorting this out.

Also FYI, I am using JackOSX to route Trakor 1&2 into Magic 1& 2 (0 & 1) This was the only way to get the frequency response feature working properly for me.

Please advise. Thanks. ;)
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Channel 0 Audio-In overriding MIDI Learn Assignments

Post by Magic »

Hmm, Traktor must be sending out some kind of repeating MIDI message. It's probably MIDI time code which ticks many times per second.

Can you disable MIDI output from Traktor? There must be some way to turn off its Virtual MIDI Output.

When using the MIDI Learn function in Magic, it will respond to any MIDI message, not only from hardware devices, but also from any MIDI software. So in a sense, Traktor is flooding the system because it's sending out so many messages. Thus, Magic can't detect the other ones.

Let me know if that helps.
druzic

Post by druzic »

Well that makes sense, Taktor is sending out MIDI clock info to Ableton for sync. But it seems like a problem that should be addressed or otherwise a very common dj config is really crippling Magic's potential.

As far as finding / building a workaround is concerned, Magic's MIDI / Audio menu implies that it can discern between MIDI channels. If this is true, how could we isolate controller(s) from the clock? Could the answer be in building a separate IAC Driver? (just guessing.... ;) )
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

You're right. I think there's probably an easy way for me to deal with unsupported commands, which is to ignore them, rather than generate an error message. I'll try to fix this for the next version.

Question though: what happens when Traktor isn't playing (i.e., paused or stopped)? Is it still sending out a clock signal?