Previous topicNext topic

Access to photos on mac monterey

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Pxlhg

Access to photos on mac monterey

Post by Pxlhg »

Hi,
I just converted to Mac as I'm using my iPad more and more wanted a better companion. Anyway, it's been nothing but frustrating overcoming all the security features on the Mac. I'm also new to MMV but that's another story :D
I just tried to import a photo to Magic and to my huge demise realised I can't access the photos app. I've given MMV access to all disks and folders and I searched the web but can't find anything but the suggestion I should move a copy or all photos to another folder but I don't want that, it's ridiculous to have several copies of the same photo and I need to think of saving space too.

Any help solving this stupid issue would be a godsend. :?
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Access to photos on mac monterey

Post by Magic »

Accessing the actual Photos app doesn’t have anything to do with Magic. To bring an image into Magic, you add the Image module, click on its File button, and select the file you want to open.

If there is some kind of privacy or permission issue with opening your desired photo or navigating to its folder, you can manage Magic’s permissions in System Preferences. https://9to5mac.com/2020/03/03/mac-chec ... ic-photos/
Pxlhg

Post by Pxlhg »

I did not mean to imply the fault is with Magic.
I've already tried the path of Security and Privacy (thanks for the link anyway) but when I unlock the padlock and choose the photos app I can't add any other app than the ones that are already there (in my case iMovie and LumaFusion).
The security measures added to this system is starting to have me regret shifting from Win to Mac, and I was so effing happy there, for a while :cry:
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

You should be able to click the File button in the Image module, select the Photos option in the Finder window that pops up, and then select a photo from there. If your computer needs permission, it will ask you, and you can grant it. Not sure why this wouldn't work.

Alternatively, granting Magic the permission "Full Disk Access" (via System Preferences) might work for your situation.
Pxlhg

Post by Pxlhg »

That's what i've been doing from the start but to no avail and yes I've granted Magic all the permissions it can be given. Again, the computer is brand new so not much on it yet. Maybe someone else more experiences user encounters the same issues and comes up with a solution. Typical.
Anyway, love Magic and let there be no shadow or doubt on that because of my struggle with mac.
Best,
Ulf
Pxlhg

Post by Pxlhg »

@Eric
I finally solved the problem and it's quite embarrassing as I finally called Apple Support.
One has to do a long scroll on the left side menu to find the photos icon and I had some stuff added from an iPad app which made it even longer.
The Support guy at least agreed with me that it should be at, or near, the top and not buried last.

Anyway, figured I'd inform about it as other may encounter the same (I have found articles indicating so but not this solution).

Best,
Ulf