Previous topicNext topic

Video Input Performance

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Cowsgomooooooooo

Video Input Performance

Post by Cowsgomooooooooo »

Hello,

I'm looking for suggestions on how to maintain 60fps output, or min 30 when running more than one direct video input.

I run a UV map that translates the 16:9 output onto different screens so I run different video loops in each.

My system is a 5950x and 6800xt 32gb and is not remotely being taxed at all, so this isn't the issue.

When I have one video file input and my full scene in action, I have 180-220FPS output.

With two video files loaded on sseparate chains, I drop to 60fps.

With my 3rd overlay which uses a green screened camera, I drop to 20.

I've went thru toggling off / bypassing most of my scene modules to confirms it's primarily just the video input.

Also note I run my loops on an input selector rather than a multimix so it's not rendering all at once.

Throttling Frame Rate is set to 1ms.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Video Input Performance

Post by Magic »

Hmm, I’m not exactly sure what you mean by "video input", but hard drive speed is a crucial factor when playing multiple video files. Both the read rate (reading a contiguous block of data) and the seek rate (jumping back and forth between different blocks) are important.
Cowsgomooooooooo

I run two 'VideoFile' modules.

And one 'VideoCaptureDS'.

All video files are mp4s on Samsung 970 EVO, only one drive. But I'll second check this when I get home in case I have them on the backup SSD.

VideoCapture still drops it another 40FPS though which is pretty significant. (This is from OBS making a virtual camera of screen capturing a separate window.)

Any suggestions on if video file size makes any difference, or file format could be affecting it?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes, video format is important. mp4s aren’t the best. Do you know about Hap?

That video capture scenario probably isn’t the best either. Can you use Spout?
Cowsgomooooooooo

Confirmed all video loops are on my boot drive with magic.

I do not know about hap.

As far as video format, quality is less important as performance impact. I can only output 720p anyways. Let me know which video format is the easiest to use or would have the least decoding performance impact. I can use handbrake to convert.

Currently I'm using OBS to capture a window and spoof it as a virtual camera. In which I pull into Magic using direct video module, can't remember the name.

I will see if I can spout output from OBS to see it makes any difference, I remember seeing the spout module recently in Magic.

I'm just seriously confused why just playing a video drops the output render FPS soo significantly when hardware isn't lacking, I just wonder if there's something going odd with decoding.
Cowsgomooooooooo

Also thanks for that tip! That did help a bit. Running Spout instead of VideoCaptureDS:

Scene with 2 loops running: Went from 17FPS to 25-30 (Drops again ~10 frames vs 30+)

Scene with 1 loop when 45ish to 90. (drops frames 10fps toggling spout on)

Still need to figure out the video inputs dropping frames so heavy. Assuming it has something to do with decoding. Is Magic decoding hardware accelerated? I'm wondering if a different video format works better on AMD GPUs or Ryzen. Since I believe mp4 is pretty compressed and meant to take the least amount of space but needs more decoding load.

Edit: I found HAP on VDVX page and will look into it after reading the manual more!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes, Hap is much more efficient to decode than mp4, but the file sizes are larger, so disk speed is still important. I definitely recommend you try transcoding some of your mp4s to Hap and see if it works any better for you.
Cowsgomooooooooo

Requires Quick Time Pro to convert. Any other suggested programs to convert?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes, ffmpeg is awesome if you take a bit of time to learn it.
Cowsgomooooooooo

Trialed adobe media encoder and installed hap codec and yes I about doubled FPS! Thank you thank you.

Turns a 50mb mp4 into a 2gb hap. I wonder if .MOV is the happy middleground. Ill do some testing later!