Previous topicNext topic

Deactivate license on dead laptop

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
mpr128

Deactivate license on dead laptop

Post by mpr128 »

I have 4 licenses, one of those is licensed on a laptop that now has a failed motherboard.

I would prefer to go through the License Deactivate process on the laptop if possible, but this laptop will never live again.

If I remove the hard disk and can successfully boot it on another laptop, will the license deactivate process work or is it doomed to fail because the license is linked to some hardware characteristic in the original laptop ?

I want to try to deactivate this way before going to the deactivation process described here [https://magicmusicvisuals.com/licenseDeactivation], because I assume that online process will require me to re-license the other three machines as well.

cheers
Shane
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Deactivate license on dead laptop

Post by Magic »

If I remove the hard disk and can successfully boot it on another laptop, will the license deactivate process work or is it doomed to fail because the license is linked to some hardware characteristic in the original laptop ?
Yes, most likely it will fail because it is linked to the original laptop.
I assume that online process will require me to re-license the other three machines as well.
That is an incorrect assumption ;).
mpr128

Re: Deactivate license on dead laptop

Post by mpr128 »

Appreciate the quick reply.

I have a single key that is good for 4 activations. I have only use 2 activations and want to deactivate one of those (dead laptop).

I've tried an online deactivate and entered my key, response back "That license key has an available activation and therefore does not need to be deactivated." suggests that I can only deactivate online if I have used all 4 activations.

I may have confused licenses vs activations in my first post. It looks like I have a single license key good for 4 activations rather than 4 licenses. My apologies for the confusion.