Previous topicNext topic

OSC Sender Frequency

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
MIDI M

OSC Sender Frequency

Post by MIDI M »

Hi, I was wondering on what Frequency the OSC Sender is refreshing its values?

What I am trying to do is sending scene changes over Ableton to MMV and sending modulations from MMV to my friends raspberry system that controls the light. works quite nicely so far but we had some scene changes getting lost and his system updates only on 100 Hz.
I wondered if there are any possibilities to control what or how fast the sender actually is sending?
Magic
Site Admin

Re: OSC Sender Frequency

Post by Magic »

The OSCSender only sends out an OSC message when the value changes. So for example if it changes from 0 to 1, it will send out a message with a value of 1, but then it won’t send another message (maybe for a long time) until the value changes to 2.

I guess I could add some kind of functionality that would resend the same value after a certain period (like 100 or 1000 ms) but I won’t be able to do it anytime soon unfortunately.
MIDI M

Post by MIDI M »

Thats what I thought and it is fine for me. I did put a short delay on some scenes with fixed values so the different messages dont come up all at once.

But what happens at continuous value changes, eg when I try to send a sine function as a DMX lightness value is there an upper limit/fixed frequency of messages per second?
Or asked differently what can i do to not have for example more than 100 messages per sec?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

If a value is constantly changing it will never update more than the frame rate. So for most people the maximum would be 60 updates per second (on a 60Hz display).
MIDI M

Post by MIDI M »

Alright, good to know. I guess using the Hold-Modifier would be the way to reduce it further if neccessary.

Thanks for the straightforward and fast support as always, Eric!