Previous topicNext topic

Loading sample projects quickly at a gig

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Filter22

Loading sample projects quickly at a gig

Post by Filter22 »

Hi there

I've downloaded the demo and it seems to be just what I'm after.

Is there quick way of loading a new sample project at a gig without having to navigate through menus? Is the idea that you load up scenes and change these at the end of a song? Can this be done using keyboard shortcuts?

I'm using Magic on a separate MacBook pro and it's receiving an audio input through the mini jack from a Roland MX1 mixer.

I also have a launchpad - could be used to load projects or trigger scenes. I guess I'd need the performer version for this though.

I want to keep all this as simple as possible as it will be me doing this at a gig!

Many thanks in advance
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Loading sample projects quickly at a gig

Post by Magic »

The idea is that you create a project which has all the scenes you want in it, and then you change scenes with the Playlist.
Filter22

Post by Filter22 »

Hi there

Thanks for this. I've only got 8 weeks till my next gig so I need to find a quick way of getting some visuals together - I fear I don't have the technical ability or time to create scenes from scratch! So could I copy and load these sample projects into a playlist? Is a project made up of scenes - trigger these blobs for the verse, now make them change colour for the chorus etc.

I love the included preset projects so could I load these all into a playlist and choose a different project for each song? Would these different projects become the scenes in a playlist? I'm guessing I need to get the Performer version if I'm thinking about using this with a Launchpad?

Many thanks for your help - really appreciate it.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

You use the File > Import command to combine projects.

A project is made up of one or more scenes. Typically there would be at least one scene per song, or multiple scenes per song (verse, chorus, etc.)

Yes, MIDI controllers require the Performer version.

Please watch the tutorial videos and read the users guide for detailed info.
Filter22

Post by Filter22 »

Thank you very much for this info - all makes sense!

I'm going to get the Performer edition as I want to connect a Launchpad to it. I'm assuming I'll be able to use the Launchpad to select scenes in a playlist?

With the demo I've been using, I've been running a 3.5mm minijack from my Ableton mbp to the Magic mbp. It's receiving the audio signal fine and responding to sound well. The Magic machine is an old 2010 mbp running 10.12.6 (Sierra). I've got 8 gig of RAM and I'm hoping this will be enough for the Performer edition?

Many thanks