Previous topicNext topic

MIDI note Keyboard display

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
edel

MIDI note Keyboard display

Post by edel »

Hello everybody,
I just discovered this nice piece of software and before purchsing a performer license I'm trynig to see if it fits my needs.
I want to read (MIDI note) in realtime the buttons pressed on my 8x8 pad and display it on screen.
I'm able to display a polygon and modify its color and size with the Scale and ColorHSB modifiers.
What I'm not able to do is to have it being blank (or neutral color) and flashing in color only when the note arrives.
all the transactions seem to be permanent after the event, until the next arrives.
I instead want e.g a grey square become red on the Note on event, but automatically return grey after a delay.
I'm almost there... what is missing? :? Where have I to dig in the maual?

Last question/confirmation: if I want to display a 8x8 pad layout, do I need to use 64 separate polygon modules, each one with its own modifier, etc... ?

thank you
Sadler

Re: MIDI note Keyboard display

Post by Sadler »

This is what you're after:
https://magicmusicvisuals.com/forums/vi ... 986&p=4407

You will need 64 polygons (or other elements) each with their own midi trigger. It potentially could be done with the Iterator for vastly fewer nodes but this may be too advanced for a beginner and will depend on how the midi device is set up.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: MIDI note Keyboard display

Post by Magic »

I'm not sure if a toggle is what's desired.

I think that changing the brightness/alpha based on the note velocity is the correct approach.
Last question/confirmation: if I want to display a 8x8 pad layout, do I need to use 64 separate polygon modules, each one with its own modifier, etc... ?
The Iterator module will let you do this very efficiently, but it depends on how sequential your notes are. If they are 64 perfectly sequential notes, only one module is necessary (plus the Iterator). If each row (or column) is internally sequential but not sequential to the other columns/rows, then 8 modules would be necessary besides the Iterator.