Previous topicNext topic

Envelope for Magic

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
OldNick

Envelope for Magic

Post by OldNick »

I want to modulate an effect Colour) very slowly over time. My first thought was to generate a tone, then apply an envelope to that in Audacity and use Volume as the modulator in Magic. But my trouble is that I either hear the the tone I use, or I start to see flickering rather than a smooth increasing.

I could use a very slow ramp waveform, but there more of an "official" way to cause progress over time?

Thanks for any help.

Nick
Sadler

Re: Envelope for Magic

Post by Sadler »

A slow Ramp or Increase is the easiest way to modulate parameters over time.

1. There are three built-in envelopes: Triangle, Sine and Linear which can be scaled in either dimension. You can also modulate these with Power, Smoothing etc.
2. The next level is to combine (add, multiply etc) these using globals and expressions.
3. Then you can generate envelopes mathematically using expressions (you can use e.g. Desmos to visualise them)
4. You could probably create any envelope you want with Fourier god mode.

There is no way to create an ad hoc envelope but perhaps you (most applications) don't need that.

The first couple of ways are covered in this tutorial:
OldNick

Post by OldNick »

[quote="Sadler"]A slow Ramp or Increase is the easiest way to modulate parameters over time.

1. There are three built-in envelopes: Triangle, Sine and Linear which can be scaled in either dimension. You can also modulate these with Power, Smoothing etc.
2. The next level is to combine (add, multiply etc) these using globals and expressions."

Thanks for that but I cannot se any way to add any sort of envelope. Once I have done that I will delve until I get the things to work. :D
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I want to modulate an effect Colour) very slowly over time. My first thought was to generate a tone, then apply an envelope to that in Audacity and use Volume as the modulator in Magic. But my trouble is that I either hear the the tone I use, or I start to see flickering rather than a smooth increasing.
You can mute an audio file by clicking the "M" button next to its filename. This will prevent you from hearing it. https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... l#Playback
OldNick

Post by OldNick »

Ah. OK. I feel dumb. :(