Previous topicNext topic

Wireless MIDI to control MAGIC - two computers

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Magneto66

Wireless MIDI to control MAGIC - two computers

Post by Magneto66 »

Hi everyone, i think that this topic hasn't yet been discussed : otherwise, Sorry for repeating BUT i'm preparing the live show with my band (actually, a trio) : we have TWO notebooks on stage, the first one running ABleton Live (all the musicians in this forum know what 'm talking about) and the second one running Magic Music VIsuals (We will connect a big screen to this notebook) ... I'd like to control Magic (running con notebook "B") via MIDI using a track of Ableton (running on notebook "A") ... I already tried at home and it works perfectly :D : i can change scenes, modifying parameters etc via MIDI : the two computers are connected to WiFi internet so they "see" each other and i use rtpMIDI sw in order to send Wireless MIDI notes and CC changes ... BUT of course there will be NO internet connection on stage, :? and unfortunately the netword cards of the two notebooks (their OS is "Windows 10 Pro") DON'T SUPPORT "hosted network"; so i i won't be able to create an "ad hoc" network to maintain a MIDI Wireless Connection !!! Of course i could use an USB-MIDI interface and connect the two notebooks by a long MIDI CABLE but i'd like to avoid Midi Cables on stage ... I tried to connect the two computers using BlueTooth but i didn't find any good tutorial about using rtpMIDI with BlueTooth connecting two computers ... Any suggestion ? I would really appreciate it !!! ... THANK YOU in ADVANCE :)
Best Regards
M.
Sadler

Re: Wireless MIDI to control MAGIC - two computers

Post by Sadler »

If both computers have an RJ45 socket and are fairly modern, you can just connect them with one (cat5 or better) network cable. If you need to to be wireless just take a wireless router with you and have both computer connect to it. Alternatively you could create a wifi hotspot with a mobile phone. I've done this to have my tablet I can walk around with to control Magic via OSC.
hazardman

Post by hazardman »

try looking for a micro-router - usually advertised for travel...this way you can have your laptops connect to this wirelessly and create a local network - albeit without internet (which you probably don't need anyway for this connection type)...

i needed to have lemur on my ipad send/receive midi wireless to my pc laptop and the newer versions of windows do not support ad hoc network so i went this route...

the one i'm using is a microuter "N300 wireless travel router" -anything similar should be ok-- and it worked just fine with my setup...you will need a power source for it such as usb port or use a power bank etc...

of course the caveat would be is how stable the micro-router can maintain the signal and/or local interferences....

you could use the router you currently have as well, but the same considerations as the micro would need to be observed...
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Always try to avoid wireless on stage. Too much interference and unreliability. MIDI cables or wired ethernet are the best options.
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

I have the same advice: wireless is a possible source of problem on stage, that can't be corrected by simply plug or unplug a cable. I went this route and I'm back to the wired solution. Things sometimes works flawlessly in rehersal room, but this is another story in real live situation. If you really want to go wireless, there is a possible solution using blutooth MIDI dongles. Some of them are USB sticks (CME widi), some others 5pins adapters (Yamaha), and in this case you'll have to convert them to USB. Be aware of the latency.

If you need long midi cables, there are little boxes ( Kenton, Bome) that can act as relays, mergers, splitters. These 2 brand are more expensive than other cheap devices, but, after multiple testing, very reliable in every situation (stage, studio).
Magneto66

Post by Magneto66 »

Sadler wrote:If both computers have an RJ45 socket and are fairly modern, you can just connect them with one (cat5 or better) network cable. If you need to to be wireless just take a wireless router with you and have both computer connect to it. Alternatively you could create a wifi hotspot with a mobile phone. I've done this to have my tablet I can walk around with to control Magic via OSC.
THANK YOU : I didn't actyally think about Rj45 solution ... i like it and i will try it ! ONce again, thanks for Your suggestion!
Magneto66

Post by Magneto66 »

Eric wrote:Always try to avoid wireless on stage. Too much interference and unreliability. MIDI cables or wired ethernet are the best options.
Yes, i'm convincing myself that You're right ... Wireless is always a "challenge", and we all need to feel safe on stage ;) !!! Ethernet sounds very good and i will try it ... THANK YOU !