Previous topicNext topic

GPU Selection for dedicated MMV & Stream PC

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Cowsgomooooooooo

GPU Selection for dedicated MMV & Stream PC

Post by Cowsgomooooooooo »

Hello!

I run a dual PC set up, to stream and DJ and VDJ in VR. This is obviously very taxing on one PC. I have a 6800xt currently, and running all that at once was definitely hurting my in game FPS.

I'm looking to equip my stream PC with a GPU. It will only run MMV, and output encoding. I'm looking at either a 770 4gb for $130, or a 970 for $240. Any opinions on what kind of GPU would handle this program running pretty elaborate scenes?
Terry Payman

Re: GPU Selection for dedicated MMV & Stream PC

Post by Terry Payman »

Unfortunately my spreadsheet doesn't yet have benchmark results for many GPUs, and none before the GTX 1000 generation. The benchmark does not (currently) measure encoding performance.

The GTX 970 will give you better performance than the GTX 770 and hence fewer limitations on your project designs, but without benchmarks I cannot say how much better. "Value for money" is too dependent on personal circumstances and ambitions for anyone to be able to recommend a choice on that basis.

4GB GPUs have a useful amount of VRAM so should be good for "elaborate" scenes, although you may bump up against this limit if you if you have many such scenes in your project. The achievable FPS for a given resolution can vary hugely according to the particular modules used and their settings.

You will likely be limited by any GPU you choose, and you will have to design your projects to work acceptably well despite the limitations.
frank_halfwong

Post by frank_halfwong »

I just recently upgraded to a RTX3080, and i can absolutely crazy things BUT, there is a limit. Esp with rendering that is use into a rendering, into a rendering into a rendering..... Very recursive re-use of existing scenes can tend to make it rough on the GPU (even an RTX3080!)

Frank
Cowsgomooooooooo

Post by Cowsgomooooooooo »

I was going to say, I did view those benchmarks. But it only had extremely high end GPUs running such scenes versus GPUs that are not on the high end aren't listed.

So far my scenes only seem to use 10-15% of my 6800xt. I'll see if I can scrape by for now running this program off my main PC rather than side PC.

I'll look into limiting rendering frames to 30. As my output is only 720x30 anyways which I think is saving me a lot of GPU usage.