Previous topicNext topic

GPU Selection

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Jaymann

GPU Selection

Post by Jaymann »

Hello,

I am a new user and I am currently using a Windows machine with built-in graphics. I will eventually be using this with Ableton Live “live“ so I would think I need to offload the graphics. I am looking for input to help me select a graphics card. I do not need the card for anything else I am not a PC gamer, etc.

Thanks in advance.
TKS

Re: GPU Selection

Post by TKS »

Probably the worst time to buy a new GPU because the prizes are completely out of control.

So the first question would be what your budget is.
And the second one whether you want a new GPU or a second hand one.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

1. I am good with a used card
2. Budget is on the bottom end < $200 but again I am not sure what I really need… for example is a GT1030 2GB sufficient or do I need more muscle?

Unfortunately I do not know much at all about GPUs to make any kind of decision. Certainly I don’t want to throw away money on a low end card if that is not going to do enough for me.

Thanks for the reply!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Maybe better to wait until after the holiday season, but definitely get the absolute best GPU you can afford. If you get a lower-end one, I think you will end up regretting it.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ok thanks. On another note I Was thinking about getting a Macbook but just curious if you know if the New M1 processor GPUs are decent? They have like 8 GPU cores or is that like having a low end graphics card for a desktop?