Previous topicNext topic

macOS Video Capture Sources

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Joe13

macOS Video Capture Sources

Post by Joe13 »

Hi,

Looking to run the output of a Blackmagic UltraStudio into Magic Performer 2.31 on macOS 11.6. Not having luck getting the VideoCapture module to show any input sources other than the built in FaceTime HD camera.

What I've tried:
  • Route the UltraStudio through OBS, and enabling the Virtual Camera there
    Also enable NDI output in OBS
    Route the UltraStudio through ManyCam
With the above methods, both OBS and ManyCam show up as video sources in other apps (e.g. Zoom), but not in Magic Performer.

Appreciate any pointers.

Cheers,
Joe
Magic
Site Admin

Re: macOS Video Capture Sources

Post by Magic »

I'm pretty sure this is related to a macOS permission issue with loading plugins. Please contact us via our contact page (https://magicmusicvisuals.com/contact) and we will let you try an updated version of Magic.
DJMisterE

Post by DJMisterE »

Looking for assistance as Ive tried multiple capture cards and webcams as videocapture modules where they appear and are seen but no image comes through to be visible. Any thoughts?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Not sure, but as a first step, I recommend you contact us to get the updated version as described above.
Joe13

Post by Joe13 »

My experience with the updated version is that it enabled the missing capture devices. From there, mixed results. An OBS virtual camera worked but the Blackmagic Decklink input resulted in only black. (Unless run through OBS’s virtual camera, which isn’t really what I want.)

Wasn’t sure if there are any format assumptions for resolution and frame rate? Didn’t see any options to set.

Joe
Joe13

Post by Joe13 »

A follow up - I have been able to get the Blackmagic Decklink source to work with Magic. Still assessing the right steps, but I suspect that if OBS is launched first and grabs the Decklink source then no video is routed to Magic, even with the source selected.
Joe13

Post by Joe13 »

This no longer appears to work as of macOS 12.2.1.

I also notice that the sources listed in VideoCapture aren't labeled correctly. E.g. I have ManyCam installed and when I select ManyCam it actually selects the internal FaceTime camera, and vice versa.

Is another app update needed?
Joe13

Post by Joe13 »

Quick update here – the Blackmagic video source does show up at times, but I haven't quite figured out the variables to make it happen.

Example - before the macOS update, I could open a saved project with the desired VideoCapture source (Blackmagic), and it would be there as expected.

Now, if I open that saved project, no Blackmagic source is listed as available as a VideoCapture option.

However, the following steps do result in getting to it:

1. Open the app with the default scene
2. Add a VideoCapture source - observe that no Blackmagic option is available (in my case I have FaceTime, OBS Virtual Camera, and ManyCam)
3. Now open the saved project
4. Observe that the VideoCapture source in the saved project now has a Blackmagic option

A bit odd, but at least there seems to be a workaround!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I finally had some time to test on macOS Monterey, and I'm not seeing any problems here (with the updated version of Magic). I tested 3 separate physical capture devices. All of them function properly and in the correct order.

ManyCam also works properly.

Unfortunately I don't have an adapter cable to connect my Blackmagic, but I will order one and test it also.

When you install a new OS, make sure to grant permission for Magic to use the camera and microphone.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok, I was able to replicate the issue of the Blackmagic not showing up unless the VideoCapture module had been previously added in a different project.

For some reason the first scan of capture devices (when the VideoCapture module is first added) must not be detecting the Blackmagic. Not sure why.

I'll work on fixing this.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

By the way, I recommend you try the BlackSyphon utility, that would be a much better workaround for you. https://vdmx.vidvox.net/blog/black-syphon

You run that app, set up your capture device, and then use the SyphonClient module to display it in Magic.
Joe13

Post by Joe13 »

Thanks much, appreciate the updates!