Previous topicNext topic

Syncing a Mobile Phone Video with Audio

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
wsobeats

Syncing a Mobile Phone Video with Audio

Post by wsobeats »

Hello Eric, I found the following response below to my query.

But, I did something by accident and now I am trying to use Magic in a non-traditional manner because the video looks better after I imported into Magic.

So I made an Mp4 on my phone of basically me talking in my studio. I imported said video into Magic thru the video file function. Instead of the small video that we are using to seeing from mobile - where two halves of the screen are black with the mobile video in the middle - MaGic spreads the video out so that it takes up the entire screen. It looks way more professional than a video done on a mobile phone although it is the exact same video. 2 issues though --- 1) it is at a 90 degree angle and I can't figure out how to turn it right side up and 2) syncing the sound. I uploaded the sound of the mp4 into the audio inputs for the magic file and it worked. Technically I can't see any reason why those two items won't playback at the exact same speed just like any other music video. I just need them to start together at the same time. But I searched the forum and found the post below. So I do know I'm out of the intended element for Magic but I would still like to figure this out if possible. I can do edits much faster in Magic that I can in other video platforms --- especially if I want throw a image in the video.

The important thing to understand is that Magic is not a video player or video editor, and it cannot manipulate or edit audio. Its sole purpose is to generate new video, based on audio and MIDI input. None of Magic's modules output any audio. When you load existing video clips with the VideoFile module, the audio playback is ignored. Video clips are meant to be used as creative sub-elements in your larger project, and not necessarily played start-to-finish in a linear fashion. Once you start manipulating the time/speed/looping of videos, the audio will be out of sync anyway.

Or, if you just want to edit existing videos and maybe add a few extra audio-reactive effects here and there, I would recommend something like AfterEffects, where the concept of the linear timeline is much more central.

Eric
Site Admin

Sadler

Re: Syncing a Mobile Phone Video with Audio

Post by Sadler »

Sadler here, not Eric!

2) See this thread for audio sync: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/forums/vi ... 84&p=10801

1) Use a rotate on your video. In the future, I recommend you record phone video according to how you intend to use it.
wsobeats

Post by wsobeats »

Hey Sadler,

Thanks. I'll try this. Yeah I fixed the rotate already. I forgot to post that.

As far as recording audio with the phone and trying Magic, It was an accident because I'm lazy and didn't want to learn Final Cut Pro. But Magic allows for phone video to look much better than traditional phone video so .... given how much mobile video is the future -- having this idea as a module already setup is something worthwhile imo. While Magic isn't setup to work this way -- there is no reason why it can't technically (I'm guessing) since there are workarounds.
wsobeats

Post by wsobeats »

Hey Sadler,

Can you tell me how to control the volume of a second source ? the phone video has my talking running and included music that I want to play really really low. That's why I am asking how I can decrease the volume of that 2nd input.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

In Magic you can't adjust the relative volume of audio files. Although sources have gain, that only effects the visual.

While you can mix audio outside of Magic and drive visuals via a virtual audio cable, you can't render videos that way.

The only way is to use a program intended for mixing audio and render the mix out of that to use in Magic.