Previous topicNext topic

HELP ... Controlling Magic by a second computer ...

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Magneto66

HELP ... Controlling Magic by a second computer ...

Post by Magneto66 »

Hi everyone ... i purchased Magic Music (PErformer edition) a couple of years ago, i updated my copy to the latest version/release and noy i'm finally preparing a live musical show ... I'm planning to use TWO computers : the first one is running Ableton Live and one of its MIDI track will send notes, CC changes and program change messages to Magic (running on a second notebook), launching scenes, changing effects, etc etc ... When i'm at home, both the notebook are connected to internet via WiFi so i use "rtpMIDI" in order to send MIDI data by the network and it works fine ;) ... When i'll be on stage, of course i won't be able to take advantage of this situation. I know that creating a network "ad hoc", without Internet, is possibile since both the notebooks have Windows 10 Pro as Operating System But it seems that their network cards can't do it : i tested it from the command prompt typing " netsh wlan show drivers" and hosted network isn't supported... Such a pity, because i like using rtpMIDI ... I have an external USB-MIDI interface but i WOULDN't like to use a long MIDI cable on stage: the two notebooks will probably be quite distant from each other. I read about the exchanging MIDI by BlueTooth but the information about it is confusing and contradictory :shock: ... Any suggestion ? Thank You all in advance
Magic
Site Admin

Re: HELP ... Controlling Magic by a second computer ...

Post by Magic »

Long cables, particuarly network cables, are the best solution. Never rely on Wi-Fi for a performance; it's too unreliable and unpredictable.
Magneto66

Post by Magneto66 »

Eric wrote:Long cables, particuarly network cables, are the best solution. Never rely on Wi-Fi for a performance; it's too unreliable and unpredictable.
Thank You for Your reply ;) ... Yes, You're absolutely right ... i will resign myself to using a long MIDI cable BUT I will also read up on the solution based on network cables : in that case, i should create an hosted network, i suppose ... !
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

The thing about network cables is that they can be run over very long distances. Something like 100 meters / 300 feet. A MIDI cable will have problems at that distance unless you use a repeater or some intermediary device. Plus I think network cable is less expensive.
Valis

Post by Valis »

rtpMidi is superior in terms of timing (with no other network traffic) and superior in terms of the density of data that can be carried. MIDI limits you to 31 KBaud. And the above point about cable lengths is indeed correct, we often used to use cat5e to carry even video data at large shows (from a Spyder) until fiber largely eclipsed that (we will still run both in the trench to have them available).
Magneto66

Post by Magneto66 »

Valis wrote:rtpMidi is superior in terms of timing (with no other network traffic) and superior in terms of the density of data that can be carried. MIDI limits you to 31 KBaud. And the above point about cable lengths is indeed correct, we often used to use cat5e to carry even video data at large shows (from a Spyder) until fiber largely eclipsed that (we will still run both in the trench to have them available).
Thank You :) ... I like rtpMidi, too ... I'd like to create a network "ah hoc" (no router, no internet, of course !) in order to connect the two notebooks (the first one running Ableton and the second one running Magic) and sending MIDI data to the second one using a Midi Track on my Live set... I'm not talking about very great distances : let's say 4 m (?) considering my equipment (2-3 synths) then the big screen for Magic ... But a 4-5 m long midi cable on stage isn't so nice !!! Making a custom network was much easier with previous version of Windows but it's still possible with Windows 10; unfortunately, it seems that the net cards of my two notebooks can't support "hosted network" :( ... so i guess i will resign to use a cable ...
Magneto66

Post by Magneto66 »

Eric wrote:The thing about network cables is that they can be run over very long distances. Something like 100 meters / 300 feet. A MIDI cable will have problems at that distance unless you use a repeater or some intermediary device. Plus I think network cable is less expensive.
Once more, thank You for Your support: iìm actually talking about middle distances : 3-4-5 m : i'm with my notebook "A" (running Ableton Live), a master controller and a couple of synthesizers, then a big screen (and a projector, of course) and at the end the other guy playing some electronic percussions and checking notebook "B" (running Magic and connected to the projector) ... Cables running on the floor aren't so nice, so i wanted to use a wireless connection ... but as i wrote, the net cards of my notebooks don't support hosted network :(
skarabee

Post by skarabee »

I just made a video projection on LED screen using Magic controlled by audio and midi on stage (12 musicians, but only guitar bass and drums had specific audio inputs for magic trough a Focusrite multichannel audio interface, and also a mic for the acoustic section (brass and strings). I used a long midi cable (5 meters) to capture the keyboards and used the midi interface from the Focusrite, and also a wireless midi interface (Fishman Triple play) for the guitar, a USB midi footswitch for changing scenes and various effects. No problems all midi and audio streams worked fine for 4 shows on a win10 laptop. MMV rocks! Lots of question about the software from musicians friends and audience fellows. ;)

I hope to post some images and videos soon. One more show tomorrow...finger crossed