Previous topicNext topic

Is there a 'global' input volume/gain adjustment?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Natsværmer

Is there a 'global' input volume/gain adjustment?

Post by Natsværmer »

I promise I have read the user guide & searched the forums for every variation of words I can associate with this - but can't promise I am not just an idiot.

Is there a single control - preferably that I could link to a midi input - that controls how much gain there is/how sensitive the input volume is? We play in very variable environments, so can't predict how sensitive the reactivity should be. Live changing the scale modifier on every single module obviously isn't really sustainable. I made a workaround for this by connecting a separate mic via an audio interface to my computer and adjusting the volume levels on the interface. But this requires two extra pieces of equipment for a single task. I'm sure there must be a simpler way.

Thanks in advance
Sadler

Re: Is there a 'global' input volume/gain adjustment?

Post by Sadler »

No midi for this but I know what you mean about variable environments - the gain can be used to temper the audio as it was intended but it can also be used to destroy a scene if your not careful, but also give very different scenes, depending on how they're set up.

https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... #AudioGain
Valis

Post by Valis »

Is it more efficient to do your audio detection with a few globals then distribute that across all scenes in a project?

And if so, wouldn't it make sense to simply add a multiplier (gain) to each of these so you can tweak it quickly in globals? Maybe that's possible via midi there?
Natsværmer

Post by Natsværmer »

it can also be used to destroy a scene
That's exactly the issue we face. Set up the volume scale wrong and your scene is ruined, so you need to have really set it up perfectly in advance and then hope the environment doesn't change. Whereas if you can directly control the input volume as long as you are within a certain reasonable range you can adjust it live.

I think I have a workaround of setting a midi-defined scale modifier on almost every module but will keep trying to work out a simpler way. Or just continue using the extra mic. Thanks for the support!
Natsværmer

Post by Natsværmer »

Is it more efficient to do your audio detection with a few globals then distribute that across all scenes in a project?
This definitely sounds way more efficient than the workaround I just posted. Hadn't explored globals yet so will try setting it up that way. Thanks a lot!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Valis

Post by Valis »

Yes, but it was also discussed that this is not open to midi input so I was offering a possible implementation for that.

To be honest, I would likely control input gain externally to even the machine and then ensure that the levels sent to the input and thus the software were as close a match as possible, but that's just me. A small monitor mixer might even suffice, or perhaps the inputs & control panel for an ASIO capable soundcard.
DavidAJfilms

Post by DavidAJfilms »

I would totally love having a midi fader controlling the audio input gain. Anything new about this?
Some times I just plug into my laptop the headset output from the dj's audio device and relink the Realtek so the computer detects the minijack as an input source. I really like moving that 'headphones output knob' up and down from the dj's audio device to just increase or decrease the FX response, but I find it a bit of an akward solution.
Couldn't that audio gain just be mapped??