Previous topicNext topic

Envelopes

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Valis

Envelopes

Post by Valis »

I'm able to achieve very simple AD type envelope effects by using a combination of parameters, most typically with a threshold followed by a Ramp+Invert (usually followed by a scale and offset). With a bit more math, it's possible to have this react only on the highest (or lowest, or middle portion) of an incoming value. So if I for instance use the beat clock function it's possible to trigger a scale animation and then have it decay, and then wait again for the beat clock incoming value to hit and decay, and then rest & wait for the next division to occur and reset the beat, to repeat the process.

This is basically a simple Attack Decay envelope (AD) or possible ADH (Attack, decay, hold). What I would like to do is design more complex envelopes and LFO style shapes. In another thread, someone was asking if we could send text strings to modules, and the response was that the cabling only offers video data. In that thread, I suggested perhaps different input/output shaped nodes (and/or colors) to differentiate for data types (video, audio, control data, string data etc). This is somewhat do-able right now using Globals but passing a variable doesn't seem to be as simple....

Now while that's a whole set of things to unbake conversationally, I'll head back to the original question: if I was to use a global to create my ADH envelope, how could that be extended to create multiple envelope stages? Right now I'm either using Midi data from a DAW (Ableton/Bitwig etc) and/or OSC data from a Mac app called Vezer (Which is lovely btw). As Magic seems to really be a visual synth, having more common control data abilities would really be a boon. Or point me at examples and discussion on how such things might be achieved already...

Thanks!
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Envelopes

Post by Magic »

As long as you are willing to use a little math, the Expression modifier provides infinite functionality for designing curves, LFOs, etc.
Valis

Re: Envelopes

Post by Valis »

I am not opposed to using expressions, but there's a difference in workflow between csound and bitwig when it comes to control data. And a rather large difference between managing operators in a DX/TX (FM) Synth via a 2-line UI and wiring up modules in a rack, if you'll allow for my largesse in examples.

In my case, the main issue with Vezer is that it isn't local to the laptop running Magic, as that machine has a stronger Nvidia GPU (;as a gaming laptop typically will). So dense automation data tends to stutter a bit, even using rtpmidi (windows version of mac's RTP protocol built into AudioMidi Setup), and while I can smooth the data out it just seemed some facility here might be useful.