Previous topicNext topic

How to create overlay for 3rd party editor?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
jamtpg19

How to create overlay for 3rd party editor?

Post by jamtpg19 »

I have Performer but unfortunately my teaching schedule doesn't leave me much time right now to learn it or use it as I wish. The limited use I've gotten from it is already worth it to me though.

I was trying to brainstorm the solution to this problem, and then it hit me... I have MMV! I'm sure it can do the trick, but I'm not sure how. At one point a little over a year ago, I pored over the manual carefully. I vaguely remembering seeing what I needed but don't have time to read it all again right now. Can someone please tell me how to set this up?

I am doing a music video with my students. The final movie will contain several elements from MMV, but can't be finished completely in it. I'll be using Premiere Pro and some After Effects as well. It's one of those "virtual choir/band" types. One epic song with about 70 performers. They are all submitting short segments of the final song that all must be placed at the correct measure in the Premiere Pro timeline.

What I want: An overlay that I can put in Premiere Pro, to use only during editing, that shows what measure (and perhaps beat) of the song is at the current moment. Like a timecode overlay, except showing measures and beats of the song instead.

The piece does contain several tempo and time signature changes so things can get confusing. I would put it on top of everything and it would help me put all the pieces together. Then, of course, I would just turn off that track before the final export. But it would help in syncing all the little pieces immensely.

I have a MIDI file of the music we're playing. Is there a way to derive the overlay from the tempo/beat track and export the video from MMV? I could see this technique being useful to others as well as myself.

I realize this is not as glamorous as the intended use of MMV, but oh so useful!! I promise I also intend to create stunning visuals with MMV for the final product as well... any help greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I searched through the manual again and didn't find what I'm looking for. :-( I also pulled up the Timer sample project, and tried to see how to change it so it pulls the beats and measures from the beat clock (that would be perfect) but this is beyond me. Maybe it's just not possible, sigh...
Sadler

Re: How to create overlay for 3rd party editor?

Post by Sadler »

You could adapt the timer idea adding a bit of maths for converting your tempo into seconds and changing the wraps to suit your time signature. You'd have to track your tempo and other attributes if they're changing but Magic is certainly capable.

Hope this helps.
Sadler
jamtpg19

Post by jamtpg19 »

It does, thanks very much!

So what I'm gathering then is that there's no way to simply to pull a graphic from the tempo/clock track itself (in my MIDI file)? If not that's fine, I just thought there was. That would make it very simple.

Thanks either way.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Magic does have a "Beat Clock" source option.

Other than that you could create a "fake" track in your MIDI file that has one note per beat or something like that.