Previous topicNext topic

Many old projects refuse to load in 2.31

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
artnik

Many old projects refuse to load in 2.31

Post by artnik »

Hey Eric et al,

Been out of the loop for a long time. Just installed 2.31 and a bunch of my old project files won't load. These projects go back to 2018 and earlier, so can't remember which version they were created with. Most crash when 0% is parsed on loading. :-(

Example file:
ABSTRACTS.magic
(37.26 KiB) Downloaded 183 times
Folder full of them, created around the same time: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing
Sadler

Re: Many old projects refuse to load in 2.31

Post by Sadler »

Hey Nik, welcome back.

I could open these in 32bit Magic. This project 'disappeared' Magic in 64bit for me also. Not much interesting in the Event log but the crash was in there. I couldn't see anything obvious that would cause a crash but didn't go through everything.

Sadler
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Thanks, I will look into this.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

The ABSTRACTS project loads fine for me, but there are a lot of missing third party modules and asset files.

Same with a couple others I tried.

Otherwise no problems/crashes on Windows or macOS.

As a first step, you might try emptying your Additional Module Folders in case there's something in there causing problems.
artnik

Post by artnik »

Thanks Eric, Sadler,

I found a workaround. I copied the files to my desktop, where they were able to open. Interestingly, copying the original enclosing folder to the desktop did not work, as they refused to open from it.

Tried saving them (the ones individually copied to desktop) to another folder, and they would open from their new location as well.

All very strange, but at least the work is recoverable. That's all that matters. :-)