Previous topicNext topic

Monitor issues

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
walmartian

Monitor issues

Post by walmartian »

I am experiencing a problem when going full screen on external (2nd)monitor. Everything works fine until I go to full screen, the 2nd monitor shows the full screen window without issue, yet the "preview" window goes blank and remains blank even after exiting full screen. I have to restart Magic to get the preview window to show content again. The preview window also shows desktop artifacts after exiting full screen (see image)
prevw.PNG
prevw.PNG (17.64 KiB) Viewed 5747 times
Yet if i place the main Magic window on the second screen it works without issue. :?
I have tried deleting preferences, using 32 and 64 bit versions, three different monitors, updated drivers, swapped cables to no avail.
I am running Win7 64 bit, Core 2 Duo ,8G ram, ATI HD5770
Thanks,
David.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Monitor issues

Post by Magic »

Thanks David. Is this a new issue for your computer? Or has it always existed? Or have you just not tried using a second monitor before?

Also, have you installed a new version of Magic recently? Or perhaps a new graphics driver?

It seems like you're running out of graphics memory, but your graphics card should have plenty of memory. Maybe try lowering Magic's graphics resolution (Window > Magic Window Options > Graphics Resolution) and see if it fixes the issue?

Eric
walmartian

Post by walmartian »

Eric,
Thanks for the quick response.
To be honest I have been working on the audio portion of my set so I just started using v1.52.
Been using a second monitor but never had the option to preview until this version.
Have tried 3 different drivers, reformat hd, re-install clean os, re-installed magic to no avail.
I will try your suggestions when I get a chance, I was thinking along the same lines, graphics memory.
Might have bad video ram :(
Thanks again.
David.
walmartian

Post by walmartian »

Eric,
Unchecked keep midi/playlist above editor and it works fine now, weird. :?
Wish I had done that three days ago....... :)
Thanks for your time,
David.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

How odd. I'm not sure why that would fix it. But, at least it's usable now.

I'll see if there's anything else I can think of.
walmartian

Post by walmartian »

So it seems there is still a weird issue. In order to get it to work correctly I have to uncheck then recheck "magic above editor" when I start magic, then it functions perfectly.
http://youtu.be/SAddxY5_1II
Since I haven't heard of this issue with other users, I will assume it is something with my machine and not Magic.
Thanks again,
David.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Since I haven't heard of this issue with other users, I will assume it is something with my machine and not Magic.
Thanks David. It could still be a bug with Magic; maybe you are the first to find it. It's possible that it happens with AMD graphics cards only, because admittedly we haven't done as much testing with those as we have with NVidia.

Have you tried reducing the graphics resolution? In your video, it shows 1280x1024. Try something like 640x480 and see if it fixes the problem.
walmartian

Post by walmartian »

Tried 640x480, 320x240 with same results, in the pic below you can see the artifacts from moving a window over the preview window and missing polygon,
cap1.PNG
cap1.PNG (124.29 KiB) Viewed 5718 times
and then below after unchecking/rechecking "magic over editor" it works perfect.
cap2.PNG
cap2.PNG (99.55 KiB) Viewed 5718 times
What is more strange is if I use my screen record software to try and capture a video of the problem, it seems to go away :?
It really isn't a big deal as I don't use the auto play function at the time being.
Thanks,
David.