Previous topicNext topic

Enabling Wireframe?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Zetboi

Enabling Wireframe?

Post by Zetboi »

So I took it upon myself to have a look around the forums once again for answers, as well as the manual if it's possible to enable wireframe on a 3D model, but it currently doesn't seem like this is something of a feature yet. Is this correct?

I found this thread from last year which touched on the subject.
https://magicmusicvisuals.com/forums/vi ... rame#p8371
Sadler

Re: Enabling Wireframe?

Post by Sadler »

That thread you refer to was about drawing polygons. The word 'wireframe' there was used in the context of a stroked shape without fill. Since you ask about 3D models I guess you don't mean this, do you?
Zetboi

Post by Zetboi »

Sadler wrote:That thread you refer to was about drawing polygons. The word 'wireframe' there was used in the context of a stroked shape without fill. Since you ask about 3D models I guess you don't mean this, do you?
Oh, sorry Sadler, wrong thread..
I meant this:
https://magicmusicvisuals.com/forums/vi ... rame#p8371

Specifically this part:
artnik wrote:Before we get awesome animation features, my vote would be a less intense fix to the base 3D rendering first, (if its quicker to do the overhaul in phases). e.g. Definable light sources, basic surface shaders (ambient, specular, wireframe, bump mapping, normal mapping, phong, blinn, etc). It would go a long way to upping the basic functionality.
I'll edit my original post so there won't be any confusion in the future.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Right, thanks for clarifying. I'm sure many folks here would agree that this would be a welcome addition to Magic's 3D capability but it doesn't exist yet. You have a few options though.

For low-poly fake wireframe you can use an Edges module. This isn't perfect since it doesn't draw an edge when there isn't enough contrast between faces, but I use this quite a lot in combination with other FX and blend modes.

Another option is to push your model through the Blender wireframe modifier. This fixes the wireframe but, if your ok with that, works very well in Magic.

You can always bake wireframe materials, also in Blender for a more rendered wireframe look. I still haven't got my head around baking textures yet but this shouldn't be too difficult in theory.