Previous topicNext topic

Rotate between Blend modes

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
olazzzzz

Rotate between Blend modes

Post by olazzzzz »

Hi everyone,

I wanted to ask if it is possible to smoothly change between Blend modes, so that the change of effects would animate the scene.
The only way I thought of would be to connect each different Blend module to a MultiMix, but this way I need to have 28 Blend modules, so this seems to me to be a very rough solution.
Is there a better way to do this?
Thanks a lot!
Sadler

Re: Rotate between Blend modes

Post by Sadler »

There's two questions to ask yourself here,
1) why would you want to smoothly mix between, say, multiply and average? Seems a bit random. And,
2) how would you smoothly mix between a multiply and an average? They're fundamentally different effects requiring different input images.

Most blend modes are also very similar in that the maths is subtly different but the output is often not that much different.

I guess a shader could be written to mix between blend modes and your own suggestion isn't all that unreasonable since the maths isn't all that complex though the multimix can be a bit hard on the system.
jhinden

Re: Rotate between Blend modes

Post by jhinden »

Here is a module I found a while back that has crossfade. One thing I've noticed is diff blend modules often behave differently (perhaps incorrectly or due to some color space conversions or lack thereof when processing).

https://editor.isf.video/shaders?q=PSBl ... vate=false