Previous topicNext topic

is this midi device going to work with magic?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
blackdot

is this midi device going to work with magic?

Post by blackdot »

hello

I'm currently thinking about buying a midi controller and wanted to make sure it's gonna work with magic.

it's this: http://www.akaipro.com/product/lpd8#overview

basically it has 8 buttons and 8 knobs and is connected via usb. i find it nice because it only has buttons and knobs and no other nick-nack which would be awesome for magic.

maybe one could even use multiple of those.
Sprock3t

Re: is this midi device going to work with magic?

Post by Sprock3t »

What up Blackdot :)

I have one of those controllers and although I have not tried it out with Magic yet, I am sure it will work. Once it is connected to your computer then it will show up in Magic and you can use learn to do your thing. I am using some other controllers now, and I am sure it is the same routine with that Lpd 8.
Good luck with your projects

Sprock3t
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I'm pretty sure it should be ok. I haven't yet heard of a MIDI device that doesn't work with Magic.
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

what up. new gig with friends up next year. have be better prepared than the spontanious experiment last time. a virtual midi device used with the mouse and keyboard just isnt the same as a physical one (because of the knobs) ^^.

and this one looks pretty cool because as said has buttons and knobs and nothing else. i couldnt find any other device with just that (except those with 100 buttons, but no knobs). hmm.. maybe i could buy one with many knobs and one with many buttons. but as of yet i havent found one just with knobs. maybe you guys know more than i do ?
Sprock3t

Post by Sprock3t »

Or you could just DIY and make it exactly as you need. Just look on youtube for help because many ppl make their own midi controllers...
walmartian

Post by walmartian »

The LPD8 is a great controller, unlike other controllers it is completely re-mappable with velocity sensitive pads. Also has the ability to set 4 "programs" that can be recalled on the fly. Magic is midi compatible, thus ANY midi controller will work, as MIDI is standard across all devices. If you plan on using multiple LPD8's just make sure you configure controllers on different midi channels to avoid conflicts.
Finally the LPD8 is "class compliant" which means it requires no additional drivers -like a keyboard-plug it in and go on any computer.
DIY projects are fun, but it will take more of your money and time.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--AKALPD8 -hard to beat for $60
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

yeah the price seems awesome. i think i'd rather buy this, than do it myself :D.
Syd

Post by Syd »

anything that is class compliant midi should give you no problems.

Just remember that things like infinite dials which just send 0 or 127 are going to be fairly useless for magic without any kind of advanced mapping features. Also no midi out so things like lights etc might not work.
walmartian

Post by walmartian »

Syd wrote:anything that is class compliant midi should give you no problems.

Just remember that things like infinite dials which just send 0 or 127 are going to be fairly useless for magic without any kind of advanced mapping features. Also no midi out so things like lights etc might not work.
Like I stated the lpd8 has "advanced mapping features" and the knobs are actually very useful in Magic. And by midi out I believe you are talking about bi-directional midi and are referring to Magic and not the lpd8?

Midi hardware can receive midi input and respond accordingly, this is the main purpose of midi, -standard communication across all devices and the ability for one device to control another, in sync.

All the "lights" work locally on the lpd8: you press the button it lights up. :roll: Just no feedback from the software(Magic) to activate lights as indicators.
e.g launchpad(which is actually controlled with a combination of midi + python within live.) :mrgreen:
blackdot

Post by blackdot »

just stumbeled upon this: http://www.korg.com/us/products/control ... okontrol2/

where i live, i can buy this for 54$, and it has even more buttons than the akai. the akai has 8 buttons and 8 knobs. this korg thingy has 8 knobs, 24 buttons and even 8 sliders. i assume of course that i wouldnt have to care about what those buttons were originally intended to do.

all in all seems the better deal to me.
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

There's a long running thread on the Resolume forum that (I think) has every controller known to mankind and extraterrestrials:
http://resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8902
spacedoctor

Post by spacedoctor »

That Resolume thread is cool - saw this app from Lemur on there: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lemur/i ... ?ls=1&mt=8
Wonder if that could be set-to match the look of scenes i.e. groups of knobs/sliders to vary the inputs and a column of buttons to trigger each scene
Although the Korg NanoKontrol2 looks to be pretty good value with 24 buttons for scenes, 8 knobs and 8 sliders to vary the inputs!