Previous topicNext topic

Tiny bit of audio cut off from the beginning of export

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Ivan X

Tiny bit of audio cut off from the beginning of export

Post by Ivan X »

Hello,

I've been using MMV for about two years, keeping current with whatever version is latest.

A problem I've consistently had, and continue to have, on multiple Macs, with different versions of macOS, is that when I export a movie, a tiny bit of audio is cut off from the beginning -- maybe a tenth of a second. It's a problem if the song has a cold open, like a beat.

Playing the track in the MMV window is fine. It's only on the export that the very beginning seems truncated.

I have tried using an ALAC audio source as well as an AIFF; same result. I've tried using Open264 and x264; same result. It seems like a bug, but I searched the forum and couldn't find anyone else with the issue.

The workaround I've had for now, which is undesirable, is to add a short bit of silence to the beginning of my Logic projects prior to exporting/bouncing them.

Any ideas how I might be able to remedy this? Thanks for a great product -- I hope there's a simple solution.

Thanks,
Ivan.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Tiny bit of audio cut off from the beginning of export

Post by Magic »

Hmm. Not sure, no one else has reported that. If you post a link so I can download one of your audio files that has the problem, I'll test it.

EDIT: I was able to reproduce the problem on my computer. I'll try to get in a fix for the next version.
jhinden

Post by jhinden »

I just came here to report this very problem as well.

I don't plan to use the audio that's exported, so it's not a major issue so long as internally everything is triggering on time.

However, my additional concern is that the calculations for 'video' length are incorrect as well, if detecting 'length' by audio clip length. It appears that the video length is not correct either. Should probably take a look at length of the video export as well.

At this point I'm not sure what is a bug and what is expected. I'd like to create a seamless video loop created in Magic but can't get it working. Is there another issue to be aware of when it comes to getting perfect loops exported from Magic (perhaps related to the coded?).

This image should help to illustrate:
https://snipboard.io/5QszoX.jpg

1. Track 2 has original audio kick exported and put into magic
2. Track 1 has the magic export
3. The video track is the wrong length.

Thanks
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

The audio issue will be fixed in the v2.31 release. I don't think there's an additional video issue, but I will take a look.
jhinden

Post by jhinden »

Thanks Eric. I'm wondering if this issue might be related to the export sample rate. For example, when using 44.1kHz audio and exporting to a format that resamples to 48kHz. I've had some issues in the past where length changes due to the sample rate conversion process.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I wouldn’t use Magic to create the final version of a seamless video loop. Best thing to do is export from Magic at very high quality (png sequence is best), maybe with a few frames extra, and then use a proper video editor to create the final video. There isn’t a way to guarantee that using Magic’s audio length calculation will give the exact correct exported video length needed for a seamless loop.
jhinden

Post by jhinden »

Ok, thanks for the tip Eric.