Previous topicNext topic

Performance not as good in version 1.52?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
calagax

Performance not as good in version 1.52?

Post by calagax »

I loaded up a couple of patches and in ones using three shaders I have dropped from a frame rate of around 20 to 30 fps to a frame rate consistently below 10.0.

My machine is kind of wimpy, an AMD E450 with 8 gb and Radeon HD graphics running at 1.85ghz and I will be replacing it in a few weeks but in the mean time are there any new tweaks that may be needed to be made to match previous performance?

I still have the 1.51b version which i used to be sure I was not imagining this.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Performance not as good in version 1.52?

Post by Magic »

Good question. I think what you're referring to is a new feature in 1.52: the ability to set a constant graphics resolution. This is enabled by default, because it results in a better workflow for most users. The default resolution is 1280x720, which may be higher than what you were using before (particularly in windowed mode), so it would result in a lower fps.

You can change the graphics resolution by going to Window > Magic Window Options > Graphics Resolution. Selecting the option "Use size of Magic Window" will cause Magic to behave like it did in previous versions, so there shouldn't be any difference in fps.

Let me know if it helps.
calagax

Post by calagax »

Eric wrote:Good question. I think what you're referring to is a new feature in 1.52: the ability to set a constant graphics resolution. This is enabled by default, because it results in a better workflow for most users. The default resolution is 1280x720, which may be higher than what you were using before (particularly in windowed mode), so it would result in a lower fps.

You can change the graphics resolution by going to Window > Magic Window Options > Graphics Resolution. Selecting the option "Use size of Magic Window" will cause Magic to behave like it did in previous versions, so there shouldn't be any difference in fps.

Let me know if it helps.
Yes, that fixed it.

Thank you very much. I hoped it would be some kind of new option causing the change. I look forward to changing that back when I get a little more CPU.
Syd

Post by Syd »

calagax wrote:Thank you very much. I hoped it would be some kind of new option causing the change. I look forward to changing that back when I get a little more CPU.
remember that GPU is going to be your real bottleneck here. CPU is almost irrelevant :) If you're going to get another laptop I'd consider something with a discreet graphics chipset or you'll probably still have a bad time.