Previous topicNext topic

Learning resources I might be overlooking and...

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
xr4d11

Learning resources I might be overlooking and...

Post by xr4d11 »

I just installed Magic yesterday and "wow!", this software is incredible. I've been looking for something like this for so long so glad I found it. ♥ Right now, all I will be doing with this software is creating visuals for records (mostly just Autechre) that I enjoy, that's really all there is to it and nothing else. I mainly want to use it as a custom visualizer for my record collection, essentially replacing my media players. I guess this would be called, " real-time music visualizations". Two questions...

1. For my purposes, shouldn't the Studio version be all I need? Is there anything in the Performer version that I might need that I am overlooking? I know all I need to do is upgrade but figured I'd ask.

2. What is the best way as far as playing/routing your audio files into Magic so you do not have to fool with the Input Sources Windows to load the next track? Right now, if I load up a record, all the tracks play at once. So what I had to do is create one long .flac of an album then load it into the Input Sources Window. It works this way so if that's the best way great, but just want to make sure I am doing it the best/easiest way. I want to be able to simply start the music/audio tracks in Magic and never have to touch the Input Sources Windows until the entire record has been played. I am sure it's in the documentation but figured I'd ask anyways.

3. Besides the manual, the tutorial videos any other learning resource I need to make sure I check out?
Sadler

Re: Learning resources I might be overlooking and...

Post by Sadler »

Hey, if you need midi/OSC then Performer otherwise Studio does everything else (https://magicmusicvisuals.com/features).

For 2) see this thread: https://magicmusicvisuals.com/forums/vi ... p?f=3&t=10

The forum is a great place to ask questions and advice.
xr4d11

Post by xr4d11 »

...if you need midi/OSC then Performer otherwise Studio does everything else...
If I ever get back to actually making my own music again I'll definitely upgrade, I would think it would go nicely with an Ableton/M4L setup. Otherwise, Studio seems to be best at this time.

And thanks for the link to that thread! That should be all that I need for answers on audio input/output.
xr4d11

Post by xr4d11 »

FWIW, I finally had some time today to get back working with Magic and I figured out how to route my audio, thanks to your link, in no time. I find that I prefer using VB-Audio's VB-cable way...very easy setup. Now to purchase this software and make some visuals! 8-)