Previous topicNext topic

Mac 10.15.6 Globals Bug for 2.3

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
yumatripp

Mac 10.15.6 Globals Bug for 2.3

Post by yumatripp »

When I open a project from 2.2 (the last full upgraded version), If I move as global, it kills Magic. full shutdown with a report to Apple.

But if I open that project and save it in the new version 2.3 of Magic, it appears to not crash. I had this same issue with the beta. Is there a workaround, or do I have to double up all my projects for 2.3?

Thanks.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Mac 10.15.6 Globals Bug for 2.3

Post by Magic »

Sorry, what do you mean by “move as global”?
yumatripp

Post by yumatripp »

Sorry, I meant “move a global” as in, move a number in a global to affect a module.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I still don’t understand what you mean, can you post some screenshots?
yumatripp

Post by yumatripp »

I open up a project. It was a project made in Magic 2.2.

In that project I have globals that effect various things in various scenes.

If I open that project in the new 2.3, and move that global number to effect a module somewhere in a scene. It crashes Magic.

If I open Magic 2.3, save the old project from 2.2 as, let’s say, “project2point3”, then open that newly saved project in 2.3, moving that global now does not crash the application.

It’s happened across all saved 2.2 Magic files I have tried, but then fixed with the save process I just outlined above.

This seems tedious when you have a ton of projects.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

If I open that project in the new 2.3, and move that global number to effect a module somewhere in a scene. It crashes Magic
Still doesn’t make sense to me. I don’t know what “move that global number” means. It’s not how anything is described in the User’s Guide. You’re using different language that I don’t understand. That’s why I asked for screenshots. A picture is worth a thousand words. Or even better, a video.

I fully accept and believe you are experiencing a problem/bug, I just don’t know how to reproduce it in order to fix it.
yumatripp

Post by yumatripp »

I’m not anywhere near a computer currently.

A global has a number it outputs. That’s what it does. If you change that number while it’s attached to a module, It kills any of my Magic 2.2 projects that I’ve tried opening in 2.3. Unless I save the 2.2 file in 2.3 right when I open it.

I don’t know how to explain it any better. I can’t take a screen shot. I’m trying to make sure other people don’t have the same issue.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

If you want to make sure other people don't have the same issue then please take the time to explain it in a way that allows me to do something about it. Right now, there's nothing I can do. I'm sure the problem seems simple and obvious to you, but it's in the context of a project you created, and I have absolutely no idea what that project consists of. Thus, I am requesting screenshots (or a video) for the third time, or you can keep wasting my time and yours and not having anything get fixed.
yumatripp

Post by yumatripp »

yumatripp

Post by yumatripp »

I think I worded it a little wrong. Changing the global VALUE is what causes the crash.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes, I had no idea that what you showed in the video was what you meant.

Anyway, the video is blurry so it's hard to see the details, but from what I can see, I'm not able to reproduce the issue on my machine. Based on your description, I did the following: created a project in Magic v2.22; opened it in v2.3; and changed the global value by dragging with the mouse. So, it must be something specific to your project. If you want, you can contact us through our web site and email us your project file, and we'll try to debug it on our computers.