Previous topicNext topic

GPU utilization

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
sjdacruz

GPU utilization

Post by sjdacruz »

I'm running 32 bit magic thru a 2080ti, with only a few heavy modules. The fps drops to about 20-25, yet my GPU resources show its not even using 50% of my graphics card. Resolution is 1280x720

Please advise,
Scott
Sadler

Re: GPU utilization

Post by Sadler »

It really depends on what modules you're referring to. Some shaders will kill framerate no matter what GPU have. As to GPU resources does that 50% refer to 3D, memory or one of the other metrics?
sjdacruz

Post by sjdacruz »

For the GPU - when the scene is blank, at rest, I get 1800-2000fps. When I start to add effects and load it, the frame rate drops down to about 25-30 fps, and the "3D" output reads only 40-50%

The other metrics stay really low at 8-10% usage.

My current workflow seems to bog down when I add layer "mix modules". Perhaps I'm setting it up poorly. (or not optimized)

For instance, I take a live video source, and output it to a series of effects in a chain. I use the mix modules to fade the presence of each effect in the series. As I start to stack 3 to 4, maybe even 6 effects, each with their own mixer, I start to see hard frame loss, back down to 20s
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

What resolution?
sjdacruz

Post by sjdacruz »

I keep everything at 1280x720 for all my inputs, as my master output (locked to).
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Have a look in this thread and see if your comp is similar in complexity:
https://magicmusicvisuals.com/forums/vi ... f=2&t=1726

Your 2080ti should be able to handle most things though. Make sure Magic is actually using it.
sjdacruz

Post by sjdacruz »

Yes, that person's project and setup is very similar to mine. However, I ran into an issue when attempting the solution of fading a mix module to "0", and linking the power of the other modules that would be active during any value above "0%".

My issue is that the input source resets it's draw. The best way I can describe this in words: Video DS device media module (webcam) goes to a lumaKey module. That isolates white points, and makes the darkness of the scene alpha. I send this to a trails module with value between 0.9-1.0 (for long - infinite sized trails). I then split this output to a mix module, and to a "city lights" ISF module. My midi control slides the mixer from 0-1.0 (the selects presence of the citylights route, or just unaffected to the master output. This setup is fine for me. However, if I link that midi slider to power-off the citylights module at "0" mix module value, upon turning it back on, the draw output from the trail is lost, the screen is black, while fading back down to zero, the infinite trail remains. Further trails seem to then have two different inputs arriving to the mix module - an undesired effect.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

First of all, no one should be running 32-bit Magic unless they specifically need 32-bit FFGL (1.5) compatibility.

Secondly, make sure to monitor your available graphics memory.

Thirdly, as Sadler said, make sure your desired GPU is the active one.

Fourth, very complex projects and/or complex modules can go slow -- no way around it. Gotta simplify and make sacrifices as necessary.
sjdacruz

Post by sjdacruz »

I need to reach someone to fix my license key. I did switch to 32bit to utilize freeframe 1.5s... but when switching back to 64 bit, it says my key is inactive, and I cannot deactivate the 32 since it claims "you can only do this 4time a year" I only have one machine.

My 2080ti is the card I'm routing everything to. Does 64bit perform better than 32? I can live without some of FFs if it'll result in better performance.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

You can run 32-bit and 64-bit on the same machine at the same time. You don't need to deactivate. This is explained in more detail in the User's Guide.

Other than that, if you have a problem with your license key, kindly contact support through our web site.

I can't promise that 64-bit will be faster than 32-bit; you will need to test. But 64-bit will certainly allow you to use more memory.