Previous topicNext topic

Control Hold , Average, etc... value with a global

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
synthmusic

Control Hold , Average, etc... value with a global

Post by synthmusic »

As it appears, modifiers like Hold, Average, Smooth, that take in a value from the previous modifier and apply change over time can have their value modified by midi or osc (Learn Param...), but have no way to be modified by a global value. Is that possible?
Sadler

Re: Control Hold , Average, etc... value with a global

Post by Sadler »

Use an expression. Expressions can reference global variables. Expressions use x to refer to the value in the modifier stack. Expressions can be bypassed through midi/osc like any other modifier. Multiple expressions can be stacked in the same expression modifier or in separate modifiers. Module parameters and globals can both use expressions. Expressions can include many mathematical operators within the expression syntax or you can apply parameter modifiers after the expression modifier stack in the normal way.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes, what Sadler said.

Also, in Magic v2.3 (the Beta is currently available; see https://magicmusicvisuals.com/forums/vi ... f=6&t=2239), a nice side benefit of the new OSCSender module is that you can send OSC values from Magic to itself. So you can get even better control of things like what you are describing.
synthmusic

Post by synthmusic »

First of all, thank you for the notes, I understand the need to reinforce using globals in expressions as this is very powerful. :D I am using expressions with globals extensively, I don't think it solves this problem.

Hold will hold for a specific period of time, according to the number in the box. Doesn't matter what's in the stack above, expression or no, because that's the value that gets held. The amount of time it will hold those inputs is what I want to change (or the amount of smoothing, or the amount of averaging).

I have a global that I want to set the hold time to. I want hold to last as long as the global value.

i.e. global "holdTime" = 1.5

Scale ------------
X
Source : Sound Stream
Feature: Volume
Hold: 0.5 <- I want this time to change based on the global "holdTime"
--------------------

Now the problem is hopefully more clear, curious if that's doable as it stands.

I can see how an OSC generator could be used to solve this though a bit fiddly, i'll try and report experience.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Currently there is no way to control a modifier parameter with a global, but you can control one or more parameters with the same MIDI or OSC command.