Previous topicNext topic

Translate Z Scale

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
synthmusic

Translate Z Scale

Post by synthmusic »

When translating on the Z axis, with no other transformations, 2.3142 -> 2.3143 is the magic number that puts the input "behind" the camera (assuming it is a 2d input). Does that number represent something interesting about the camera or Magic settings? I considered it might be related to the angle of view, but it appears not to matter what the aspect ratio or resolution is set to.

Thanks!
Sadler

Re: Translate Z Scale

Post by Sadler »

Adding the absolute value of the -ve Z clip plane to the +ve clip plane gives 99.9. You could always scale 2d planes if you wanted to have them not clip - would look even more pixelated though.
synthmusic

Post by synthmusic »

My goal is not to scale something with translate, I am moving things around the camera in 3d space, and was just wondering. New to this sort of thing, so I'm gathering the clip plane is set at that Z value? Or in my thought process, 0,0,0 in 3d space is centered and 2.3142 away from the camera?
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Yes, that's correct. In order for the point (0, 0, 0) to be perfectly centered in the window, such that the exact top of the window is (0, 1, 0), the camera has to be at z position -1/tan(22.5deg) = -2.414.
synthmusic

Post by synthmusic »

thank you.