Previous topicNext topic

Hold Modifier vs. Timer

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
sjdacruz

Hold Modifier vs. Timer

Post by sjdacruz »

Hello,

I'm trying to set up a series of modules that have their POWER parameter linked to a MIDI input, in such a way that the module stays in an "ON" state for 10 seconds, and then switches off. Basically, a midi key is struck once, and the module is powered for 10 seconds. Further presses of the same key will again trigger the POWER, or reset the countdown timer at 10 seconds again. The "hold" modifier doesn't seem to really do this unless I can set it in such a way that it ignores the initial input unless it's trigger itself. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Scott
Sadler

Re: Hold Modifier vs. Timer

Post by Sadler »

I don't think this is possible with the current set of modifiers/midi features - happy to be proved wrong though.

If you stick only to video clips it can be achieved by setting each video length to 10 seconds. You can fire each video individually, in sequence or randomly via midi and they will only play for the length you've set.

I struggled with applying this more generally for a wee while and came to the conclusion that, perhaps, some sort of reset modifier would be useful in a range of circumstances, including this one. The 'soft' power and bypass don't reset the node like the 'hard' power buttons for efficiency's sake.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Use a Peak modifier. You’ll have to fiddle with it to find out what peak value takes 10 seconds to decay. I'd estimate somewhere above .9 if it responds to a velocity of 127.
synthmusic

Post by synthmusic »

I think I found a solution for this. Eric just sent me in this direction for something else that I'm trying to solve and that got me thinking about some interesting approaches.

TL;DR
See attached diagram and follow steps

* Duplicate the effect module you want to apply. Ensure effect settings are the same on both.
* Feed your source into each of those modules.
* Feed both of those effects modules into an InputSelector.
* On your first effect, link (automate) the bypass as follows, resulting in 10 seconds:
Bypass
Source: (No Source)
Increase: 1.0
Offset: -9.5

* On your InputSelector, link the Input # to something that cycles between 0 & 1. Whatever the thing, it needs to sit at 0 normally, briefly go to 1 and then back to 0.
In my case I've linked to a note velocity. If key is not being pressed it outputs 0, then any input velocity will set the value to 1, and then back to 0 on release.
Feature: Note V. #xx
Expression: if(x>0,1,0) or if you prefer if(x==0,0,1)

Technically speaking, this will apply the second effect while holding the key, and the first effect for 10 seconds after you let go of the key, which is why you must duplicate them so it looks seamless. It might be interesting to do the second effect as something slightly modified while the key is being held and then transition to the 10 second timeout...?

For the long version I'll make another post and link here, because I need to write up the details about why this setup.
Attachments
EffectFor10Seconds.png
EffectFor10Seconds.png (81.27 KiB) Viewed 2200 times