Previous topicNext topic

Coordinate system questions

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
JesseWalker

Coordinate system questions

Post by JesseWalker »

Hello, a bit new to MMV but I am learning. Some questions:

Is it possible to shift the coordinate system to a corner instead of it being in the center?

Is it possible to oscillate a value in a modifier, for example X in the translate mod, between a positive and a negative value, like -1 and 1?

Is it possible to have a random value generated between -1 and 1?

Basically, I would like more screen coverage in certain mods and things seem to be locked in either positive or negative directions with no ability to cross the zero threshold during reactivity. At least I can't figure it out myself directly.

Thanks
Sadler

Re: Coordinate system questions

Post by Sadler »

Hi,

The coordinate system can't be changed but you can access all of the screen with some simple arithmetic.

A sine oscillator goes from 0 to 1. To get it to oscillate to the extents of the coordinate system (-1 to 1 in Y), Scale (multiply) by 2 (now it oscillates from 0 to 2) then Offset (Add) by -1 (now it oscillates from -1 to 1).

Doing this for the X dimension depends on your aspect ratio but for 16:9 it is approx -1.778 to 1.778. You would adjust your arithmetic to match.

Same for Random values.

The manual has a fuller explanation...
https://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads ... oModifiers
JesseWalker

Re: Coordinate system questions

Post by JesseWalker »

Thank you for this response. It is very helpful. I obviously need to adjust some of my paradigms for this software but I really like it so far.