Previous topicNext topic

Audio File Control Not Working

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
VideoDude

Audio File Control Not Working

Post by VideoDude »

I have setup to use a 2 channel audio file (WAV). I have selected my MOTU pre8 "Mix Return 1-2" as the audio device. I have set the file's channels to active (Purple). At the PlayList window I have check the "Audio File Control" option. Using the Sample Project I play the audio file from the Audio/MIDI window. The file plays but the project do not respond to the audio.
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Audio File Control Not Working

Post by Magic »

I have selected my MOTU pre8 "Mix Return 1-2" as the audio device
Magic's audio device selector is only for live input. For playback of audio files, the default sound device is used (as specified in Control Panel or System Preferences).
I have set the file's channels to active (Purple)
Hmm, I'm not sure what you mean by this. To use the file's channels in modules, you have to assign them to inputs. This section of the User's Guide might be helpful, particularly the section "Assigning Inputs":
http://magicmusicvisuals.com/downloads/ ... AudioFiles
At the PlayList window I have check the "Audio File Control" option
The "Audio file control" button is only for scene selection in the playlist. It doesn't affect whether or not any modules respond to audio.

Have a look at the User's Guide and see if it helps at all. If not, maybe you can post a screenshot of your Audio/MIDI window.
VideoDude

Post by VideoDude »

I stated the input info incorrectly. I have selected my audio file input 2 and input 3 as the Audio Input. In Scene 0 I selected the Spectrum source for the first top module Input 2. I selected the Spectrum source for the first bottom module Input 3. I have set the Scale module 1 source to Input 2 and Scale module 2 source to input 3. Again, when I press the play button on the Audio/MIDI window nothing happens. In fact, the Magic Window does not display anything.except the scene size and refresh rate information. I've read the getting started part of help which implies that I will see something on the Magic Window. I'm using two monitors. With edit window on the right monitor and the Magic Window on the left monitor. I know I'm not understanding something--I just don't know what I've missed.

I'm using the 3DSpectrum scene file.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok, so I think we just need to eliminate all the possible issues.

What is your system's sound output device? Are you hearing sound through it in other applications? Does your audio file play in other applications?

Does the playback time move forward when you press the play button in Magic?

Also, have you tried live microphone input with Magic? Does it work?

If all those things seem to be working, can you post some screenshots?
VideoDude

Post by VideoDude »

The default sound device is the sound card.
The audio file plays file through the sound card.
The time on the Audio/MIDI does move forward.
I don't have a microphone for the sound card.

To see if there were other problems I exported Scene 0 as a 10 second MP4 movie. When I play the move back all I see is a blank screen for 10 seconds. It seems to me that something else going on here. It could be that Magic has some a problem with my computer. The computer has a quad-core AMD 840 processor, 16gig of memory, an INVIDA HD sound card, an GeForce GTX video card and a MOTU pre8 digital audio interface. I can run PhotoShop, Vegas Pro, Sonar X3 and Sound Forge without any problems. I was even able to run the demo version of AVID.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok, it seems like you're doing everything correctly, though it's hard for me to verify without seeing some screenshots of your Editor window and your Audio/MIDI window.

Also, as I randomly just commented in another post, you might want to verify that your sound output device has its sample rate set to 44100 or 48000. Go to Control Panel > Sound > "Playback" tab > right-click on the device > Properties > "Advanced" tab > Default Format. Let me know if it helps.
I can run PhotoShop, Vegas Pro, Sonar X3 and Sound Forge without any problems. I was even able to run the demo version of AVID.
Magic is a little bit different than those apps -- even though it's a multimedia editing tool, it's more like a game engine. It uses your graphics card heavily. But, if you have a GeForce GTX card, you shouldn't have any problems. Have you tried loading any of the sample projects in Magic that don't require input? Such as the GLSLShaderExample project? It will run whether or not there is any audio. Just to make sure the graphics are working.
VideoDude

Post by VideoDude »

The audio file I'm playing is a 16/44.1 file. The sound card has no problem playing it.

The GLSLShaderExample project works. It displays an image of the Magic window.

I want to use Magic to create visualizations for the music I create. If we can get the audio source working I'll be set.
VideoDude

Post by VideoDude »

I just set the GLSLShaderExample project's source to the audio file. When I play the audio file it is driving the scene.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok, so something isn't set right with the modules in your other project. That's why some screenshots would be helpful. :)