Previous topicNext topic

incrementally move a polygon with progressive MIDI notes

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
nizer

incrementally move a polygon with progressive MIDI notes

Post by nizer »

I have a 4 sided tall polygon and I want it to "grow" taller as a series of MIDI notes progress. Think of it like a music scale. When Note 60 fires it grows the polygon up 1 notch, then if another note is played it would grow an additional notch. It doesn't matter what note, but each time a MIDI ON is implemented the polygon grows a little taller.

Any help is super appreciated.
nizer

Re: incrementally move a polygon with progressive MIDI notes

Post by nizer »

I ended up faking it by adding control change 108 as a MIDI trigger at progressing volumes to move the polygon Y axis up. I bet there is a much slicker way of doing it though.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

The first MIDI feature in the list, "Velocity", responds to any note on the channel. You can use this to feed into an Increase modifier with parameter value 0.
nizer

Post by nizer »

Thank you so much for the reply. This software is stunning. We are getting close.

The thing is, once I do that on the Y-axis in a translate module it expands both up and down and doesn't stop, unless I then send a MIDI OFF note of the same. Any options there?
Sadler

Post by Sadler »

Translate in Y so the bottom of your rect is in the middle of the screen. Then scale in Y as Eric said. Then translate your rect back to wherever you want.
nizer

Post by nizer »

Most helpful. Thank you. For some reason the "Increase" option on Y in Scale just runs away and grows forever if I use MIDI Velocity.

I ended up using incrementally larger 108 CC velocities and assigned the trigger to CC 108 and removed the Increase component, but the concept of
Translate - Scale - Translate was very enlightening.