Previous topicNext topic

Magic Studio v2.3b1 64-bit for Mac Issue

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
NeuroNoNeuro

Magic Studio v2.3b1 64-bit for Mac Issue

Post by NeuroNoNeuro »

Hi there Eric / others -

I used Magic with great success about a month ago, making a bunch of edited videos with some amazing shaders. I downloaded and am playing with the beta. In the specially prepared folder I made for the shaders that I use, shaders are either actually missing (have disappeared) and some have not disappeared, but are not showing up in the folder.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Kirk Markarian
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Magic Studio v2.3b1 64-bit for Mac Issue

Post by Magic »

I'm not sure I'm following. Are you saying that shader files are missing from your computer? If so, I'm not sure what this has to do with Magic?
NeuroNoNeuro

Post by NeuroNoNeuro »

Hiya Eric -

I'll break down those sentences a little cleaner this time

1. I used the official latest release to work on videos with all sorts of shaders last month.

- The shaders were placed in a folder that I accessed via 'right clicking', pulling up the pop-up window in Magic

- All shaders appeared where I placed them

2. Today I downloaded the latest beta release.

- Files are missing from the 'right click' folder I created in two ways

a. They are not visible from within Magic; they do not show up in the 'right click' menu folder where they used to exist. I went to find them in the actual
physical folder outside of Magic - these folders are part of the Mac OS X operating system - they do not exist there any longer. Where did they go? I
do not know. I will look for them some more.

b. They are not visible in the 'right click' menu folder in Magic, but they are actually IN the physical Mac OS X folder.

The reason I bring this up in the first place, is because I had begun to notice that several of the shaders I downloaded from Shadertoy and GLSLSandbox no longer worked in the official release. The same shaders that worked a month ago. Maybe it was due to recent OS updates, maybe something else. Not sure.

I decided to give the beta a chance, and there are still shaders that do not work as they used to (at all), and then the issues above.

I thought I'd let you know, as the friendly reminder in the beta pages says to let you know if there are any issues in the General portion of the forums.
NeuroNoNeuro

Post by NeuroNoNeuro »

It's almost as if the file overwrite of the Magic beta transferred some, but not all of the shaders. In fact, my folder structure remains the same, there's just some shaders that are no longer there. How bizarre.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Ok, but I still don't really understand what you're saying. Here are a few specific things to keep in mind:

- Your use of the word "folder" is confusing. I don't think you mean "folder". Do you mean scene? Module? I'm not sure. In Magic, folders are something completely different from what you're talking about. Please read the User's Guide and make sure you are using the correct terminology so I can understand you properly.

- The right-click menu is for modules. You said that you downloaded shaders from GLSLSandbox and Shadertoy, but Magic never displayed these in the right-click list. You have to add a GLSLShader module, and then click the File button in the GLSLShader module to load a specific shader file.

- The shaders that do show up in the right-click menu are ISF shaders, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

- Files that are missing from your computer are generally outside the scope of what I (or any other support person) could help you with.

- I don't know what you mean by the "file overwrite" of the Beta. The Beta doesn't overwrite anything, unless you unzip it or copy it into the Applications folder, which you should definitely NOT do. The Beta is designed to be run as a parallel program to the previous release, not instead of it.

- Further, any extra shader files that you download should NEVER be copied into the Magic app in the Applications folder. More generally, NEVER EVER copy anything into the Applications folder or into any apps in the Applications folder, for ANY app. This is always a no-no. When you upgrade an app, you will risk losing anything you copied into the Applications folder. Maybe this is how you lost your files?

- Finally, if you can conclusively determine that a shader is working properly in Magic v2.22 but not in the v2.3 Beta, then yes, that is a bug and you should definitely post the shader here so I can test it and see what the problem is.
NeuroNoNeuro

Post by NeuroNoNeuro »

Well, looks like I made a bunch of mistakes - glad nothing I messed up was important! Thanks for the help, I'll be doing some re-building.