Previous topicNext topic

Waveform over a video file.

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Elektrik

Waveform over a video file.

Post by Elektrik »

Hey all.
Is it possible to add a video file to Magic, and then have a wave form (or anything else for that matter) from that video's audio, overlayed over the top?
Or do I have to use a separate audio file from that video and add it to a Source and then sync the two up?

I can add video file, but the file just starts playing Automatically. I've never worked with video files within Magic so it's new ground to me.
Anyone point me in the right direction? Or a link to a tutorial.
Thanks heaps!
Sadler

Re: Waveform over a video file.

Post by Sadler »

There have been requests for this before and I would welcome support for syncing video with its own audio. I have found that even when I try to start a video with an audio source they are never in sync at the end even if they were ever in sync to start with.

But, it depends on how much synchronisation you want. Here's what I've done. After you've split the audio from the video, create a global and set it to internal playback time. Then start the video when playback time is > 0, either through bypass or speed on the video file node. There are many other ways and this might not be the best method - if anyone has a better idea...

Then, after exporting I will apply the exported visuals over the original video in a NLE, if necessary and if possible.

I would think that if you want just a waveform over the video then frame accurate sync is not necessary.
Elektrik

Re: Waveform over a video file.

Post by Elektrik »

Thanks for the reply Sadler. Very frame accurate sync, isn't important. But if like you say, you've found it loses sync over time, then in a longer video, that could turn ugly. :lol:
Maybe what I'm trying to achieve is simpler than seems? As mentioned in the original post, I have never imported videos into MMV before so i don't know how to work with them.
But here is what I want to create, and that might help me get an answer...
I have a recorded 30 minute DJ set, as a video. I have the audio already recorded separately in a DAW. I can sync the video and the audio flawlessly in a video editor etc...
What I want to do is import that video and audio into MMV. And then add a basic waveform or spectrum somewhere in the video as an overlay. That is all.
Here is an example of another simpler video I made... So instead of that picture in the video. Imagine a "video", and that waveform remains where it is.
Thats all i'm attempting to create.
Thanks again!