Previous topicNext topic

Sending magic video output to another computer

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
Nikizaupa

Sending magic video output to another computer

Post by Nikizaupa »

Hello everyone! I've been using magic for a year or so, and I liked it so much that I've chosen it as my main vj software for gigs and clubs.
Now during this lock down period I was trying to develop my possibilities with it and using it in livestreams, implementing some audio generated by VCV RACK.
My idea was to have one computer to use for the sound with VCV and my laptop (which is where I installed magic) to create some visuals in real time. I was planning to live stream with the computer which has VCV, because its a bit more powerful and believe that that helps.
How do I send my live video signal from my laptop to the computer so that then, from the computer I can combine the 2 things (audio and video) and stream? In order to have the visuals reacting to the sound I'm just using an external microphone, a bit of a rudimental approach but it's worked for me so far. The goal would be to just send the video to the streaming computer, preferably in a manner that doesn't require WiFi (because as I'll be streaming I want as little weigh on my WiFi as possible). Is VLC the secret?
As you can see from this newbie question I'm not the brightest when it comes to computers and ask sorry in advance!
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Sending magic video output to another computer

Post by Magic »

If you don't want to use networking then your only option would be using a video capture card.

But no matter what solution you use, you will probably get a lag between the audio and video when you're using two computers.
Sadler

Re: Sending magic video output to another computer

Post by Sadler »

If your two PCs are fairly modern then just connect them together with a cat6 network cable. Then you can NDI from the Magic machine to OBS on the streaming machine without relying on a wifi network. This assumes that your laptop (and your other PC) has an RJ45 socket of course. If you're streaming PC has 2x RJ45 then even better - you can use the second for streaming.