Previous topicNext topic

Best Way to Save GPU Memory

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
chabuku

Best Way to Save GPU Memory

Post by chabuku »

I am switching between different scenes using OSC combined with playlist function.

I would like to be able to also disable any graphics that are loaded from other scenes when I switch. I know that I can turn off "Load all scenes into graphics memory" but in doing so it will break SpoutSender connections I have set up with OBS.

So the question is: what can I disable that will save graphics memory? Forgive me if this stuff is covered in the users manual. If so please let me know what section covers memory management because I would love to make sure I'm handling it properly.

I've heard that simply disabling from a null will not unload anything from graphics memory.

1. When I disable something such as turning off the last node in a line does it free any memory?
2. Does disabling the first node free any memory?
3. Does disabling a scene node (importing a scene into another) stop it from using memory?
Sadler

Re: Best Way to Save GPU Memory

Post by Sadler »

Put your spout senders in their own scenes (e.g Hose-A and Hose-B) and attach a scene input to each sender. Keep Hose-A and Hose-B in memory and use them in all your other scenes (not stored in memory). Perhaps that should maintain the Spout connections and save you some GBs. Does this work for you?

Also, there's a new Spout plugin for OBS that, apparently, has better management for multiple Spout connections.
chabuku

Post by chabuku »

Sadler wrote:Put your spout senders in their own scenes (e.g Hose-A and Hose-B) and attach a scene input to each sender.

Also, there's a new Spout plugin for OBS that, apparently, has better management for multiple Spout connections.
Will disabling the scene node stop it from using any memory?

What is the Spout Plugin you are referencing? I am using one from Leadedge that was posted in another thread and links here:
https://github.com/leadedge/leadedge.gi ... Sender.dll

Is that the same you are talking about? That is the one I am using.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Are you having problems with not enough memory? Otherwise don't worry about it.
chabuku

Post by chabuku »

Eric wrote:Are you having problems with not enough memory? Otherwise don't worry about it.
Yes, I am. Having issues when running MMV & TouchDesigner together. I have done what Sadler has suggested, and spent a lot of time optimizing TD - it took me a while, but I have been able to reduce usage to around 80% total GPU.

Also for my own awareness I wanted to know what exactly happens when you disable a node, whether it is a scene node, a beginning generating node, a null node, or the last node in a pathway.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

Disabling nodes does free their GPU memory. You can watch this in real-time if you have memory monitoring enabled.