Previous topicNext topic

Full-screen toggle with multiple displays

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
kid.danger

Full-screen toggle with multiple displays

Post by kid.danger »

Hi, I've been attempting to get the Magic Window to span across multiple displays, but I am not having much luck. The full-screen toggle function isn't spanning the content or splitting it across multiple displays. I attempted what this user did (https://magicmusicvisuals.com/forums/vi ... 1285#p5951), but I'm not getting the result where the projectors would span, despite toggling through the options.

I'm on an iMac running the projectors from an AMD Radeon R560 external GPU. All software on my machine is the most recent version. I've configured the displays every way possible, but it's not working out. I've been trying to do different variations of the same thing for a few hours and am not sure how to proceed.

This is my current configuration:
Config.jpg
Config.jpg (774 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
This is the result of cycling through all the full-screen options (I get 4):
Displays.jpg
Displays.jpg (828.81 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
I think it works as intended for the first three options, but the last option (#4) only displays half of the intended output from a single display. The next full-screen toggle in the cycle reverts back out of full-screen and back to normal. Has anyone ran into this or maybe has some advice here?

Thank you!
Magic
Site Admin

Re: Full-screen toggle with multiple displays

Post by Magic »

Not sure. All I can say is that you have to be 100% accurate with the placement of the displays in the System Preferences and make sure they are perfectly aligned, same resolution, same Hz, etc. If they are even 1 pixel off, it won't work.
kid.danger

Post by kid.danger »

Thanks, Eric.
same resolution
I have no idea why I thought this, but for some reason, I interpreted the meaning of this to be the additional displays need to be the same resolution. Now I'm realizing this means that ALL displays (including the built-in display) need to have the same resolution. I'm facepalming pretty hard right now.

I'll give this a shot with the displays at the same resolution and see if I can get it configured. I appreciate the response and will give this a go.

Cheers,

Wyatt
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

No, actually you were right ;). Only the spanned displays need to be the same resolution.
kid.danger

Post by kid.danger »

Thanks, Eric.

After reading your last message, I decided to try this again. This time, I intentionally put the display arrangement misaligned to see what the result would be. As a result, option #4 (where it was trying to span) was now gone. This let me know that a) Magic was functioning as intended and b) the displays were arranged and set correctly. I decided to hook up the third projector hoping that maybe it would span 2 of the 3 displays or something strange like that.

No luck.

So, I decided I'd give it one last google a few minutes ago. I found this tasty tidbit for spanning displays on a Mac. source
1. Please open 'System Preferences' and select the 'Mission Control' preference pane, where you will see an option labeled 'Displays have separate Spaces'
2. When this checkbox is selected, OS X will snap a window to whichever display that window has the most area on
3. When unchecked, OS X will allow a single window to span across multiple displays and will act as one large continuous display
*Any changes to this setting does require a logout*
It worked and the Magic Window successfully traversed across the displays at the same time! Apparently that little checkbox dude in Mission Control was preventing Magic (or any other software) from spanning the displays and I guess it was checked in my OS by default.

Thank you for the replies here, I'm so stoked that I can use Magic for this project.

*I know this photo is shite. Panoramics really don't do well with moving imagery-especially projected images.
span.jpg
span.jpg (400.9 KiB) Viewed 3488 times