Previous topicNext topic

Shader license?

Questions, comments, feedback, etc.
jamtpg19

Shader license?

Post by jamtpg19 »

I'm having a grand time experimenting and learning MMV. I am really interested in shaders... I downloaded the GLSLShader Expansion Pack (from Additional Resources) and there are so many amazing graphics in there, as well as included in the program.

I saw in the User's Guide that I need to pay attention to the license for each shader, because not all of them allow commercial use etc. But when I visit glslsandbox.com, I can't find license info for shaders anywhere on that site. I also can't find a way to contact a creator to ask. I looked in the txt file for some shaders (not all, of course, there are hundreds) but I didn't see license info there either.

Am I missing something? Just not sure how to find the permissions. I realize this may not be the best place to ask, since this is the MMV forum and not a GLSL forum, but as I stated.... I can't find a GLSL forum or contact method there at all. So I hope that someone around here knows something about it.

Please and thanks.
Sadler

Re: Shader license?

Post by Sadler »

There are over 36,000 shaders on ShaderToy. Their licence is CC share-alike non-commercial in order to encourage learning and sharing techniques. It doesn't matter if the shader is explicit about licencing, they are non-commercial by default. Some shader may be more explicit.

In a perfect world we would examine the best shaders, write our own and share them according to the ethos of the ShaderToy (and sandbox). In reality, you'll see shaders used in commercial events and commercial products (Synesthesia bundles a number of attributed shaders which likely have an agreement with the shader developers - don't know). There is an amount of beration on Resolume forums lately, directed toward people packaging up shaders in FFGLs without attribution, agreement or payment.

So, listen to your conscience, give attribution, try to write your own, don't sell (or take donations) and, if you make it big, give the developer some love.
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I think glslsandbox.com is probably more permissive than shadertoy.com. If you can't find any license information then I wouldn't worry about using it. If there is license information or if there is an author listed in the file, you should contact him/her.
jamtpg19

Post by jamtpg19 »

Sadler and Eric,

Thank you both for your help! I'm a lot clearer now on it. I am someone who usually listens to my conscience :D which is why I find myself asking questions like this. I don't mind paying for good art or attributing where appropriate.

It makes perfect sense to me that shaders posted in various places online (shadertoy or anywhere really) are not necessarily there for the taking.

The shaders I had in mind specifically when posting this were the ones included with Magic, and the ones in the Expansion Pack downloadable from the MMV website (Download > Additional Resources). My understanding is that they all came from the GLSLSandbox, correct? I'm hoping (?) that since those are specifically bundled with the program that we paid for/offered by the MMV team to their paying clients, that it's reasonable to assume that a Magic user can create commercial content with them, as with all the other features of the program.

If I'm wrong about this, please correct me... if those (included) shaders are outside the scope of what I can create and sell, or use in advertising, I would love to know. I don't mind paying, but as I stated... I can't even find someone to pay!
Magic
Site Admin

Post by Magic »

I cannot guarantee anything about the Expansion Pack because it was compiled by a user and isn't "official", which is why it's not included in the main Magic download.

The ones that come with Magic don't have specific commercial use restrictions.
fichter

Post by fichter »

Fellas,

For those wondering if you download and unzip the expansion pack there is a readme.txt file in there. There is a blurb bout licenses. This is what it says.

Legal stuff:
The GLSLShader Expansion Pack is provided "as is" without any express or implied warranty of any kind, oral or written, including warranties of merchantability, fitness for any particular purpose, non-infringement, information accuracy, integration, interoperability, or quiet enjoyment. In no event shall LSC9, Color & Music, LLC or their suppliers be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of profits, business interruption, loss of information, or physical damage to hardware or storage media) arising out of the use of, misuse of, or inability to use the GLSLShader Expansion Pack, your reliance on any functionality in the GLSLShader Expansion Pack, or from the modification, alteration or complete discontinuance of the GLSLShader Expansion Pack, even if Color & Music, LLC or LSC9 have been advised of the possibility of such damages.

Check the shader code for license info. If there is none, me thinks your good to go.